need some theory

basically, i need theory on discrete control, such as discrete compensators, smith's predictor, dead-beat regulator and others - plz dont point me to
google cuzz it hasnt been very helpful (or it's my bad choice of keywords :)),so if u know a good tutorial on the net (has to be based on z-transform), i'd be very grateful.... thanx in advance
-- "And that's the way cookie crumbles!"