vibration damping

There are plenty of dynamic events where balancing is not an option. Impact loading, acoustic loading, etc.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

"Jeff Finlayson" arrogantly wrote: .. | Spaceman narrow-mindedly wrote: | > "jas" wrote: | >

| > | what is the best "vibration damping" engineering material. | >

| > The best vibration damping is done by balancing. | > (not a material, but a method of material use) | > If the balancing is correctly done, no other | > vibration damping is needed since no vibration | > will be occuring. | > :) | | There are plenty of dynamic events where balancing is | not an option. Impact loading, acoustic loading, etc.

I agree but simply not all vibrations come from such I did not say all vibrations can be eliminated by balance. I agreed some vibration are an occurance of a desired job of the part. Why do you think that is narrow-minded? (playing with your newsreader options?) It was actually not. :)

Reply to
Spaceman

It largely read that way, but yes you didn't actually say all cases of vibration can be solved by balancing. Also, balancing process may not be perfect.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

but my system is a balanced one i is present at place near to a vibration producing source and to avoid transfer of vibration to my system from it , what should i do?

Reply to
jas

but my system is a balanced one it is present at place near to a vibration producing source and to avoid transfer of vibration to my system from it , what should i do?

Reply to
jas

Actually there are a great many vibration problems that have nothing to do with balancing and that cannot be resolved in that way.

Examples are many and include:

1) internal combustion engine pulsations - these result in both torsional and lateral rotor vibrations. 2) electric motor excitations - these result primarily in torsional pulsations but also can excite lateral vibrational modes. 3) high speed gyroscopic excitations ... this is a stability problem. Ironically with various journal bearings the solution is often NOT to balance but to misalign the rotor to the stator ... interesting stabilizing effects can occur. 4) unbalance - Not always mass unbalance, stiffness unbalance can cause vibrations. Often this can be tuned out.

The only thing (and granted it is a big only) is reduce the excitation magnitude such that the resulting vibration is acceptable ... as a practical matter it cannot be eliminated entirely.

Reply to
Anthony Garcia