Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Viscous Shear vs Hydrostatic: Can Warmer Water "Float" Above Average Mean Level?
Fluids cannot withstand shear forces or "water seeks it's own level" in the less than quantitative common expression. In real life fluids exert and receive shear forces. Viscosity is in fact a measure...
14
14

do you know science?
The rope breaks.
2
2

Rheolef 6.2: an efficient FEM C++ finite element library for solving PDE
Rheolef: an efficient FEM C++ finite element library for solving PDE Version : 6.2 Home: sources and binaries as debian packages Keywords: finite elements, numerical simulation, partial derivative...

A Most Sophisticated Science: Fluid Mechanics
About the only field more sophisticated than political science is momentum transfer. various body shapes and situations need to be taken into account. Moreover drag needs to be considered as well as...
4
4

3/8 x 26? or is this metric?
I was in a bike shop (run by volunteers) and they had one of those thread checker set-ups - the same kind you find in a hardware store - and they had, among others, "10 x 1(3/8)" and "10 x 26(3/8)" I...
3
3

Solution to the Gyroscope
Here is the link to my paper that derives the complete mathematical solution to the gyroscope (the spinning top) in closed form. abstract is, "The closed form solution is found for the fully nonlinear...
7
7

Low Hanging Fruit All Over the Place In Classical Mechanics
http://www.thelocal.de/education/20120523-42687.html

torque adjustment when using an adapter on a torquing screwdriver
Sorry if this is the wrong group. I'm wondering about how the use of a crow's foot should be calculated for a desired torque setting using a torquing screwdriver? I fully understand how to calculate...
7
7

Rheolef 6.1: an efficient FEM C++ finite element library for solving PDE
Rheolef: an efficient FEM C++ finite element library for solving PDE Version : 6.1 Book: sources and binaries as debian packages Keywords: finite elements, numerical simulation, partial derivative...

selection of hyraulic pump
can anybody please tell me what all are the factors we have to consider while selecting a hand operated hydraulic pump?????????
1
1

Vibrating Screens
The design of the Screen - frame which excludes all welding on the sheets in order to eliminate residual tensions, represent an important improvement. For more information :-

iphone app for pressure vessel design and specification
I'm considering developing an app for iphones for pressure vessel design and specification and wanted some feedback on what you enginners would like it to do - specific and general points all valuable...
2
2

Off Spec Is An Acquired Taste
Someone already claimed the web page.

Rheolef, a free C++ FEM library for solving PDE : version 6.0 is out !
Rheolef: a C++ finite element library for solving PDE Version : 6.0 Home page : 's guide: sources and debian packages Keywords: finite elements, numerical simulation, partial derivative equations,...

turning a rope
I jump rope once or twice a week, 25 minutes routinely, it's good exercise. I notice that rope speed is highest, with hands and arms held nearly motionless, just wrist action. Whereas moving the hands...
3
3