Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

"sweating" steel
I was talking to a smith the other day. He said when he uses a high-grade steel ( higher than SK3 or SK(D?)11 ), the specific nature, source and name of which he refuses to divulge, the finished,...
4
4

Aluminum Remelter
Hello, A company that I work with is interested in purchasing an Aluminum Remelter. Does anyone have any ideas as to who makes them or where I might find one for sale? Thanks, Tyler
1
1

Slide rule for converting hardness values
I have a slide rule-type thing for converting hardness values (Rockwell, Vickers, Brinell, etc.) which I got as a giveaway at a trade show a few years ago. It's one of my prized posessions, but, since...
1
1

titanium for custom antenna?
I am trying to find a material suitable for a custom whip antenna... Something that is flexible so it will deflect when bent slightly but still can be bent into a spiral.... The antenna will be 19"...

niobium - refractory metal ?
Being sick of using molybdenum, with its extreme oxygen sensitivity, and poring over a periodic table, it looks like Niobium might make a good material for high temperature furnace radiaion shields -...
5
5

aluminum oxidation?
I am trying to restore a vintage (1960s) espresso machine. The filter basket and portafilter appear to have been made of aluminum rather than brass. The basket was left to sit for more than 20 years...
5
5

steel shrinkage
If you heat steel then let it cool back to the original temperature, does it shrink from the original size< Tom
6
6

power transmission items
TEXSPARES CORPORATION OF INDIA 122,Narayan Dhuru street,1st floor, Shreeji Bhuvan, Mumbai-4000003. Tele: (022)56349683, (022)23437970 Telefax : (022)23411277 email- , we deal in all kinds of power...

Need help specifying a material
I have a unique application I need help specifying a material and heat treat process for. The application involves a circular clamp that is about 5.25 in O.D. x 4.25 in I.D. x 1.00 in thick. It is...
3
3

Magazines, journals, etc
Please can you tell me a good suscription(s) in heat treatments, steel and alloys. thank you all
1
1

Aluminum Exhaust Manifolds?
Hello all. I have a question about galvanic corrosion involving aluminum, zinc, steel and other metals in a saltwater marine environment. I have a boat with an inboard Chevrolet 350 V-8 engine which...
12
12

Looking for a job
Hi I am looking for a job in metallrugy or materials science. I am very good at using all materials testing instruments. characterization techiniques. I am giving my resume below. if you come across...

High strength metal coating
why does not the high strength metal parts such as UTS greater than 240 kis be coated (chromium coating)? kjs.
1
1

Collapse of building 7
Any metallurgists out there have any opinions? tia
1
1

Request for material recommendation for a cam and roller follower with high contact stress
Hello everyone, I would like to ask if anyone could please help me with the following situation. I have a very small radial disk cam with an oscillating roller follower that has high contact stress...