Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Comparison between Mild steel vs Stainless steel S.S.202
Dear Sir, Please give me the detailed comparison between properties of S.S 202 ( Mechanical, Chemical, eletrical, thermal as well corroson resistance properties). Regards, Nitin.
2
2

Baffling assignment questions - please help
I have an assignment, Q1 and Q2 look very similar: 1. Draw the typical equilibrium diagram for a binary alloy forming a continuous series of solid solutions. 2. Draw the typical equilibrium diagram...
3
3

Non Magnetic metallic raw material capable of RC 55
Any thoughts on this? Alan Gamble
3
3

Tradition chinese information
Dear Kim , Do you've ion implant information by tradition chinese ( maybe websit ...) tks & best regards , Martin Lin

thermal radiation shields
Hi folks, I'd appreciate any guidance I can get on the suitability of a couple of different choices of metals in a high temp inert atmosphere furnace application. We are building a new series of small...
2
2

Help identify this alloy,
I've found an alloy which I'm unfamiliar with. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it; an application, physical mechanical properties or even a name (AISI, DIN, etc) I have a composition:...
5
5

Normalizing fo SCM415H steel
Normalizing is the simplest yet a very typical heat treatment process. We are making gears+shafts for two wheelrs. I faced problem with Normalizing of Gears & Shafts of Steel grade (JIS) SCM415 or...
3
3

Questions regarding maximum yield stress of standard hardened steel dowel pins
Hello everyone, I would like to ask if anyone could please help me with the following situation. I am using a standard hardened steel "pull out" dowel pin from as a bearing shaft. I need to know the...

Selective Corrosion of Al alloy casting
Hello Group Has anyone ever come across selective corrosion (leaching) of the Al phase from a cast Al Alloy? What's left behind is a skeleton of primary silicon needles in a matrix of black corrosion...
4
4

Burnishing
Am pressing steel parts with a 2 Degree included angle and a 1mm interference fit together Am burnishing Moly Disulphide powder into the surfaces At what point do I know the burnishing is right Its...

Rh in super alloys
Hi! So rhenium is being used in superalloy turbine blades to improve creep resistance. How rare/expensive is it to use rhenium? Can anyone put it in context to its neighbour W? Open discussion on the...
3
3

Roll of Niobium in the oxidation of alloy steels
Hi! First time poster. I'm interested in data, theories and speculation on the roll of niobium as a "microalloying" addition, and how it affects the oxidation of alloy steels. To elaborate, I say...
3
3

slag foaming basics needed
We have problems where I work with the slag foaming over. At the BOF this causes problems when they need to get a sample and at the Ladle Treatment Station the ladles will foam over on certain grades...

forming aluminium
Can someone help me with some basic information about forming I want to form some sheet aluminium by pressing and heating. What temperatures, forces are required, and what is an appropriate material...
1
1

Best source for steel tempering
I'm trying to find the best source for ITDs, and/or martempering times and temps. It'd really be nice if there's a source on the web, as our library isn't too great in this area. In particular, I'm...
2
2