Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

ii/viii Puns
Complete: Computer that only occasionally participates. Complete: Computer that only occasionally participates. Complete: Computer that finishes taskes taskat finishes task.

what different between ferritic & austentic carbonitriding
what different between ferritic & austentic carbonitriding that was asked in interview i have attend. i know only if temp is above 580 c that is austentic carbonitriding but donot know metallurgical...

Used Machinery - Offers
Find new offers for used machinery at platform is used by manufacturers, dealers and metallprocessing companies to quote their available machines/spares. If you have a machine to offer: Placing adds...

Work of fracture
Have to give a spiel on materials and I am looking for some figures (however vague) on the effect of heat treatment on this particularly - work of fracture vs yield. The most useful materials for...

good camera
Our metallurgy lab uses a nikon coolpix 4500 now for stereos and micros. What would be a good upgrade? Price only matters somewhat.

How to set critical points on a dilatometric curve-determination of CCT of a steel
Hello everybody, I have just started a PhD lately; the project is about characterisation of microstructure of steels with bainitic and acicular ferritic structure; I need to create CCT diagrams from...
10
10

AL 6xn etch
Anyone know of which etchant to use for this nickel and molybdenum stainless al6xn?

Vibration in a brass plate question
Hello, If I apply a vibration to a brass plate of 2-1/2 X 1-1/2 X 1/8 thick: Does the vibration travel better in the cast direction of the plate? Or it is negligible? My question is related to the...

Temperature loss during degassing
We're upgrading our tank degasser and I'm trying to develop a thermal model. Can anyone tell me if the temperature loss during the initial pump down to two mm of pressure has a higher loss rate than...

guitar strings ?? & piano
After being played for some time most guitar strings sound dull and when replaced with new ones they sound brighter and louder. My theory is that after a string is played for a while it gets stretched...
1
1

Has anybody heard of "kal"?
Has anybody heard of "kal"? According to an electronic dictionary (Powerword 2005), it is a form of (rough) iron. I could not find out more about it. I looked in the Webster's and Oxford dictionaries...

Increasing corrosion rate
I am currently researching the relationship between ambient temperature and corrosion rate on steel. These steel pieces are currently tested with a 5% NaCl @ 35degC salt spray (as per ASTM B117) for...
3
3

Rucker's Reagent
Can anyone give me the recipe for Rucker's reagent? I saw an instance of it in a failure analysis case study that said it would outline temper embrittled grain boundaries in alloy steels. Has anyone...
1
1

OK what is the diferance between carbide and powdered metal ?
I think that just about says it all.
30
30

Cutting with diamond
Dear friends I have recently heard that it is not appropriate to cut steel with diamond wheels, because the high wear of the cutting wheel. The reason which explains this fact is that carbon from the...
4
4