Rucker's Reagent

Can anyone give me the recipe for Rucker's reagent? I saw an instance of it in a failure analysis case study that said it would outline
temper embrittled grain boundaries in alloy steels. Has anyone used this successfully? Unfortunately, I can't find the recipe in the ASM Handbooks.
JoeM wrote:

Sure.
The recipe is from George Vander Voort's book "Metallography: Principles and Practice, ASM International, 1999. See page 641 (Appendix I) and the text on pages 216-220
"Etch of Rucker for revealing temper embrittlement. Mix solutions a and b, shake solution, store in a tightly stoppered bottle for at least 12 h. Carefully pour off top layer and dilute with one-half volume ether. Etch 1-15 min. Grain boundaries not revealed in deembrittled steels.
Solution a 6g picric acid 150 mL water
Solution b 10 mL zephiran chloride 300 mL purified ethyl ether"
Obviously this should be done in a no smoking lab with very adequate ventilation. Do not try this at home! Revealing boundaries that aren't really there anymore is excellent "applied magic".
Pittsburgh Pete
DISCLAIMER
We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy.