Re: Alluminium bridges - who can give-me some informations?

I need some informations about bridges made with alluminium. I just

> know that they exists in USA (and, may be, in Canada) but nothing > more. Who can help me sending me some informations about it? > > I know I'm not fluent in English, but I will understand your message. > Thanks

Hi Manuel,

You might be interested in looking at these sites.

The first web site should lead you to a small booklet "Timber Bridge Management" which has some detail on the design and construction of some timber bridges. The book can be downloaded as a PDF file. The RTA has a couple of audio CD's - one on the Construction of Pavements, and the other on the Construction of Gladesville Bridge. These are reflections from people who worked on these projects and should provide some interesting insights. You can locate them from the RTA homepage. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Glenn Cramond

I know you asked about aluminum, but if you cannot get the information that you require consider Cor-Ten at:

This is a steel that has minimal upkeep and is also used in bridge construction in the USA. I have one such bridge about 3 miles from my home.

Jim Y

Reply to
Jim Y

Yes, this is for an homework assigment. Thaks for your help.

Reply to
Manuel Anastacio

Alcoa built (~70 years ago) and rebuilt (~40 years ago) the Smithfield Bridge deck (in Pittsburgh) out of aluminum, but the aluminum was replaced about 10 years ago with traditional bridge materials. Reynolds Metals Company (since acquired by Alcoa) more recently built a pedestrian bridge in Pennsylvania and a highway bridge in southwest Virginia out of aluminum (you may be able to find information from the respective DOTs). There are mobile bridges and a railway bridge or two in the US also. There are roadway bridges in Scandinavia made out of aluminum. Despite its many advantages, primarily weight savings (~1/10th that of steel reinforced concrete), two problems plague aluminum bridge decks: 1) getting a wear surface to adhere to the aluminum, and 2) corrosion due to de-icing salts and/or galvanic coupling to steel structural members.

Reply to
Chris Marks

There are also two spellings for aluminium, the real way that we spell it in Australia, and the same way the Queen spells it, and the wrong way which the septic's spell it!

Hope this helps, Peter

( World War 2 Australian rhyming slang term for septic tank = Yank! )

Reply to
Bushy