Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Pressure vessel for bauxite digestion
Where find european manufacturers/distributors of pressure vessel for aluminum hydroxyde digestion ? We are looking something with a capacity between 100-200 liters. What is typically the material...

Re: "Newbie" Resources (for the long hau and lots of questionsl)
jbuch Obsolesence in ou field is a novelty. For eg Steel Castings Handbook by ASM 6th edition is 1995 publication and there has been no new edition published. I am sure lot of new applications and...

To those whom it may concern
I have a lot of questions about metallurgy, this subject has always fascinated me. I do not appreciate the condescending and very unprofessional way my questions have been met. I thought this would be...
2
2

Can any body suggest for "International refractory lining pattern for DRI kilns"
I wish to have information on Better & latest Refractory practices for 350/500 tpd DRI kilns. Kindly respond whosoever has any info about the same. Thanx
1
1

Tungsten
Why are there so few Tungsten alloys, considering its incredible strength, high hardness and melting point I am a little surprised. Can this not be used alloyed with Ti and Mo or Ni to create a new...

Heat treating steel
If u are trying to harden steel, is it best to quench and cool very quickly, or to let it cool slowly. I would appreciate any information :-)

Phases
What does "metastable" mean ?
1
1

Newbie question
Why are there so few Tungsten alloys, considering its incredible strength, high hardness and melting point I am a little surprised. Can this not be used alloyed with Ti and Mo or Ni to create a new...
2
2

Chrome
Where is Chrome on the HRC scale ?
1
1

Titanium
What value does Titanium hold on the HRC scale ?
4
4

Superalloys
I am looking for any technicial information regarding current superalloys and advanced composites and ceramics. Please, only serious and qualified persons reply. Any information would be appreciated,...
2
2

Hardened tool steel has soft outside layer
Please help me, I'm going nuts over this problem. I am trying to heat treat O1 oil hardening tool steel but I keep getting a soft layer on the outside of the part. The layer is only about .010 to .020...
12
12

Failure Analysis: Some Introductory Articles and Textbooks
A recent post to asked for recommendations of introductory texts on failure analysis. Here's my two cents. If you have time but no money you should download some articles. A nice short one by Neville...

Plastics
Does anyone know of any plastic or composite that has high strength AS WELL as hardness? ?
7
7

Regarding quenching
I have heard that most metals cannot take an amorphous configuration at the atomic level because most metals and alloys cannot be cooled fast enough to prevent crystalization. Am I correct in...
2
2