aluminum oxidation?

I am trying to restore a vintage (1960s) espresso machine. The filter basket and portafilter appear to have been made of aluminum rather than
brass. The basket was left to sit for more than 20 years inside the portafilter and the two seem to have gotten "stuck" to each other. I guess they are bound together by a layer of oxidation? Is there a solution they can be safely placed in that would dissolve that layer and free them up ... something that would leave no residue dangerous to humans when ingested in trace amounts and which would rinse off completely and impart no taste? Thanks Timo
you try lubricating the joint by some oil or petrol/kerosine. Try doing this for some days. I think it should work i am not sure but heard that this can work

Does ammonia work?
I am an engg studient third year mech so actually i do not have any idea about ammonia bye atul shah
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 08:03:59 -0400, Timo wrote:

Vinegar/acetic acid will dissolve the oxide, it could discolour the aluminium but that can be polished out quite easily HTH
Balders
Thank you for the suggestion. I will try some soaking the item in some white vinegar. Regards Liam