Aluminum Beverage Can and Salt Water

I'm only posting as a last resort, but does anyone know how long it would take for a soda/beer can (the contents having been drunk and the can torn open), resting on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, would take to completely dissolve?

Thank you

Reply to
B Norbom

A reasonable guess can be made - a decade or more. The lid and bottom of a Pepsi can are about 0.010" (10 mils thick), but the side wall is only 4 mils. Deep seawater corrosion rates for the aluminum alloys used in cans are roughly 1 to 3 mils per year. So, you could expect five years or more if both sides were bare and ten years or more if one side was bare. Actually both sides are coated,so the coating also has to fail.

Pittsburgh Pete

--------------------------- DISCLAIMER

Note: It is understood that the material is intended for general information only and should not be used in relation to any specific application without independent examination and verification of its applicability ans suitability by professionally qualified personnel. Those making use thereof or relying thereon assume all risk and liability arising from such use or reliance.

Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete

Do you need the answer in Newton-Seconds, or Man-Hours ? The calculation is easy, but I need to know which units you want it in as I hate doing the same calculation twice.

Reply to
zzzzz

Man hours would be great... please let me know how you come about your equation.

thanks

Reply to
B Norbom