Lock Bumping

And I thought the lock on my shop door was good enough. I might as well leave the door open. 8^(

Take a look at this. It is kinda scary.

Enjoy or cringe

Jay Cups

Reply to
JayCups

My feeling is that locks keep honest people out, not crooks. Unless you've got a really secure structure there's usually a way a determined thief can break in within a couple of minutes.

I think rhe big problem with an unauthorized entry through lock bumping is that it leaves no visible sign of "forced entry" which can make it harder to get an insurance company to believe you when you tell them an unauthorized person got in and swiped your stuff.

From what I've heard, Modeco lock cylinders are bump resistant because they use multiple locking means, not just the common single axis line of lifters and pins.

Just my .02,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Oh, goody... looks like every popular brand is there, including my home and shop. Think I'll go screwgun a couple of doors shut.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

My two pennies ..............

it's a decaying society.

When we return to shooting people who are trying to take our stuff and break into our houses, things will go the other way. When lenient courts and shylock lawyers are brought into check, things may get better.

Ever notice in rural areas, there is crime, but not so rampant? People who rummage around other people's houses in the dark are usually shot. Or worse.

Internet crime. Identity theft. Burglary. There is no fear on the part of the perpetrator. There has to be punishment in order to instill fear. Pedophiles have no fear. Spammers have no fear. Scammers have no fear.

Why? Because we have a decaying society whose moldering was started by liberals and civil rights proponents.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

every generation throughout history has said that society is decaying. Oh, the evils of rock and roll. Oh the charleston and that saxaphone will lead to the end of western civilization. Oh, what have these women come to that they show their ankle in public (these are all nearly direct quotes) - oh yes, the wild west, when men were men and the perpetrators got shot - do you really think it was all that much better then? Have you compared the crime statistics of today (pick your place) on a per-capita basis to say london in

1643, or Rome in 455? Despite the fear that our leadership attempts to instill, the Huns are really not outside the gates of the city, North Korea is not in a position to attack us, and a worst case WMD attack by Al Quaeda will kill less people than cigarettes or cars already kill on a yearly basis.

Yep, our society is decaying - after all, we put people in jail for crimes rather than hanging them outright, so that they get released in 10 or 15 years to do it again, and in the interim they get supported by our tax dollars -

Oh, I get it, let's revise Johnathan Swift's Modest Proposal, but apply it to the rejects and deutritus of our society.

Reply to
William Noble

Oh, I get it . The poor underfed (under-employed , under-educated , etc , choose your own "under") masses *deserve* welfare and food stamps . It's the fact that I know of people that are third gen recipients that sticks in my craw . I bet you're a liberal . Now I'm not sayin' we need to kill 'em all , but there was a time prisoners were sentenced to something called "hard labor" . The prisoners grew their own food , etc "back in the day" . Costs were a lot lower then on a per-prisoner basis , and the recidivism rate was *much* lower ... and then the liberals decided that "work " is "demeaning" ... Thank you American Criminal Liberties Union .

Reply to
Snag

Lock bumping has been known for decades - I first heard of it from a locksmith in the late 1960s, and it was old hat even then. Pick guns, which work on the same physical principles as bump keys, were openly sold catalog items back then, and the principle was described in security books. Anyone could buy these books and the pick guns, but the world didn't end.

I must say that most thieves aren't all that skilled, and simply bash a door or window in.

Said another way, there isn't enough profit in breaking into most houses or apartments to attract thieves skilled enough to pick locks, despite all the recent media noise. Skilled thieves set their sights higher, to jewelry stores and the homes of the very rich.

Better locks cost more money. Of course. Most people won't spend a lot on locks, which makes some sense: If the usual attack is to pitch a brick through a window, it won't matter if the door locks are $10 el cheapos, or $500 government-certified high security models. So why spend the $500?

So, the first thing to spend money on is physical strength, to resist forcible entry. It's relatively cheap, and it'll filter out many bad guys, who will take their trade elsewhere, to easier targets, and force the ones that stay to take a lot of time and make a lot of noise and leave a lot of evidence.

Or, get a few dogs.

True.

True, but it's spelled Medeco (I have them on my outside doors). They are quite strong, and essentially pickproof. The "essentially" qualification is essential because they can be picked -- by a locksmith specialized in such things, and it takes him something like an hour. Such locksmiths are rare.

But it's still a house made of wood and glass, not a bank vault made of steel and concrete. If someone wants in badly enough, they will succeed.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Looks like google censored another one. I get a video unavailable message.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Check out the video links on this page;

I've seen these guys demonstrate lockpicking. live. I can't look at a commercial keylock the same way, since.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Several years ago, I had the chance to attend a lockpicking course (3 days). It is astonishing how easy some "security" locks can be opened with a few tools. Google for lockpicking-set. I have this set:

Where I was, they also had a championship for lockpicking. Bumpers were not allowed, they had their ethics! No, they were no criminals at all.

It takes a lot of practice and patience, but kind of a relaxing hobby. As long as you don't abuse your skills. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

New homes in MD are constructed with no plywood in the wall- to get in, you need just a utility knife. Cut the siding, cut the foam board, pull out the insulation and cut (or punch) the sheetrock. Saw many houses constructed this way.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

It has never taken me more than 5 minutes to break into my house when I locked myself out. I could have got in quicker but I didn't want to break anything.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

What the hell do they use for storm bracing? The plywood's not a 'security feature', it's what keeps the structure from racking in the wind.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Should have mentioned- they use corner bracing (let-in like in 'old-times') or they use a few sheets of plywood in the corners.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Just go to the search line and type LOCK BUMPING

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

--Uh oh the secret's out in the wild now... Saw the documentary a while back. I like what one picker said: it takes the fun out of lock picking. :-(

Reply to
steamer

Sam Colt had not built the first Peacemaker back then. Shortly later Winchester gave us another tool Things have gotten better ever since.

Reply to
Rex B

This thread sparked some memories.

The person who showed me how to pick locks was also the first person I ever knew who had a Bridgeport in his basement.

He was a machinist for Chicago lock and at the time (for his own amusement) he was putting the final touches on a rake pick for tubular cylinder locks. It was driven by a clockwork mechanism.. You would wind it up, put it in the lock, twist it to tension the lock and press the release button. The machine did the rest of the work, repicking it over and over until it rotated fully.

He died while I was in college. Several years later I chanced on one of his toolboxes with a bunch of his handtools in it at a junk shop.

I still have the box of tools, but I haven't thought of Al in years.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

ooh, there you go again - "I'll bet you're a liberal", "conservative" - does it matter?

the point I was making was about decaying society, and whether that statement was even true - you can attack what you guess to be my politics, but how does that address the issue? And, how does making up things like "masses deserve welfare" that "I" certainly didn't say help the clarity of discussion or thought?

Reply to
William Noble

And what's with the top-posting?

Lock Bumping? How did this thread go political too?

(See above for how top-posting can F-up the logical flow.)

Where's a tomahawk when you could use one?

Reply to
xray