ASTM A36 Steel?

I'm looking at a drawing specifying in the notes:

"Carbon Steel per ASTM A36/A36M..."

From what I've read, ASTM A36/A36M is pretty broad and nebulous. We're

making a test fixture to test some aspects of the parts that mate with it, and would like to find an easily machinable type steel (3" x 3" square bar preferably) that is similar and widely available (i.e. McMaster or something). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Reply to
dave.harper

1018, 1045 ?????
Reply to
David Deuchar

ASM's Metals Handbook- "A36 -bars- (not plate or shapes)- .29%C max .60-.90%Mn Si%(not specified) .20%Cu As noted previously, the most widely used standard for steel products are those published by ASTM. These are complete specifications, generally adequate for procurement purposes."

Also- AISI/SAE's 1026 is .22-.28%C .60-.90%Mn but the Cu content is unknown other than it's less than .60%Cu Si same thing, less than .60%Si otherwise unknown.

If there is -any- safety issue at all, you better not fudge! :) (false economy)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Reply to