Better "Flint & Steel" Wanted (IE. What metal makes good sparks).

I'm looking for a firestarter that will work better than the old "Flint and Steel" from days gone by.

What is the best metal I could use for making sparks when struck/dragged against stone?

(It needs to be non-toxic and in the "under 100$ a pound" catagory too.)

Somewhere I heard that Depleted Uranium worked really well, but had a problem with being toxic.

Thanks alot folks.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 32 (RC3) * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

Lasivian

Magnesium?

Reply to
Serial # 19781010

Why not just use a propane starter. Squeeze and sparks appear. Flints are replaceable.

Lasivian wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Those are made of what's called mischmetall, a natural mixture of rare-earth metals which happen to be pyrophoric. Cerium and Lanthanum usually make up the majority.

Ti and Zr would be interesting metals to "strike" instead of steel, if that's what you're asking.

I'm not sure what other metals are worth trying.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

In the 1950s you used to be able to buy "Atomic frizzens", a uranium frizzen (the "steel" part of a flintlock firearm). They were apparently spectacular to watch, but not all that useful for firearms - they produced a small number of huge sparks, when what you really needed was a broad shower of sparks that needn't be so large.

The alternative approach to (hard) flint and (soft, flammable) steel is a hard steel and a soft flammable striker. This is how mischmetal (cerium alloy) cigarette lighters and wheellock pistols work. Before cerium, iron pyrites was used.

Reply to
Andy Dingley