Momax ?

I have a print from a customer where the material is called out to be Momax.

Is anyone familiar with this material? I have found Momax Cobalt and Cleveland Momax when I do a search on Yahoo, but I have had no luck actually determining what this material is and if there is a suitable substitute.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Bgreer5050

Hello Bgreer5050!

My Woldman's Engineering Alloys 8th Edition has an entry for "MO-MAX", which is says is an old trademark of Cleveland Twist Drill. That stuff had 0.64 to 0.84% carbon, 3.25 to 4.25% chromium, 1.25 to 2% tungsten,

0.75 to 1.25% vanadium, 7.5 to 9.5% molybdenum, and balance iron. That's a high speed steel, and not far from M1.

If your customer can't give you more information on precisely what they want (sometimes THEIR customer won't tell them!) perhaps you can convince them to consider using a standard high speed steel like M2, if it makes sense for the application. Good luck!

Lee

Reply to
gearloose

============= This is a recipe for disaster [for you]. Generically MoMax was [is?] an American trademarked tool steel similar to M-2, possibly with some additional alloying elements.

I sugget you require the customer to specify a specific alloy using a recgonized identification system such as SAE, ASTM, DIN, etc. and that you require your material supplier to certify the material meets the specification.

Most likely your customer is looking for "tool steel," and did not know how to call it out.

You, your customer, and your material supplier need to set down and determine what you actually need. There are many alternatives such as CPM-10V, J-die, etc. that may be far more suitable than "MoMax."

Will you need to heat treat this part after manufacture? If so, you should include your proposed heat treater in the material selection discussion to insure thay have the capability [i.e. vacuum, amonia, etc.]

Reply to
F. George McDuffee