Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

What's etchant for 13-8ph recast layer?
Hi, Is anyone know it ?We use wire edm to machine part.What's etchant for 13-8ph recast layer? Thanks! Tony
1
1

Cleaning rusted steel
Hi all. I have an antique cannon that had been left out in the elements for some time. The interior of the barrel has rusted and gotten pitted. I have been using penetrating oil and a stiff wire brush...
1
1

Release of the Surrogate Modeling (SUMO) Toolbox v6.1
We are proud to announce the 6.1 release of the SUrrogate MOdeling (SUMO) Toolbox. [*] The SUMO Toolbox is a Matlab toolbox that automatically generates a surrogate model (= a regression model, an...

best way to weld together 2 lead sheets?
What's the best way to weld together two 1/4" lead sheets? I was going to try and use a blowtorch, but I'm worried about compromising the lead thickness of the seams, so I thought I would pose the...
7
7

Etchant for 17-7 PH SS TH condition
I am seeking etchants for 17-7 PH SS TH condition except vilella's reagent. Does fry's reagent or kalling reagent work for it? Thanks.

Colt 1911/1911A1 in Damascus steel.
It is possible to fabricate a receiver and all the external parts of a Colt 1911/1911A1 in Damascus steel. Pattern welded steel/Damascus is harder and stronger than the regular forged steel used...

Chemical composition of steel alloys.
Hi there, I'm interested in the make-up of steel alloys, but find the representations of different grades of steel confusing. I want to know as it's just bugging me, and I want to get it out of my...
5
5

Cadmium Chloride - Alloy of choice?
Working with a cadmium chloride solution at around 170 DegF and looking for an appropriate pump material. Can't find the typical compatibility charts for this material. I mostly find elastomer info....
1
1

metal that will not fatigue after repeated bending?
Is there a particular type of metal that one could make a thin wire of, and subject to repeated bending without it breaking as easily as something like a coat hanger?
6
6

Help Advice Req. t304 stainless steel car exhaust rusting / corrosion please help
Hey guys, I have a Stainless Steel Exhaust made from t304 and it appears to be rusting and or corroding, however I have been told that this is impossible and I need advise. I can provide several...
2
2

Re-passivating Stainless Steel in Marine Environment
Hello All, I am having a problem with surface rusting of some stainless parts on our boat. I have been researching passivation of stainless steels, and it is my understanding that this can only be...

Stretched out coiled steel springs
What is your theory on why my spring stretching didn't work? :) Some springs I bought from McMaster-Carr were crap (Jones Spring). But stretching the orginals out and cutting off a few coils didn't...
12
12

Rivet compression
How would one calculate the diameter and thickness of the shop head of a rivet? I want to put together a 3D CAD model of MS20470 type rivets where I can indicate the thickness of material to be...
1
1

Ammonium Thiosulphate Gold Leach
Does anyone have any comments on using ATS for gold leaching> Can you make ATS? Thanks, /s/ Tom Milam, Jr.

metallurgical books
I've many books about materials science and engineering,I ready to send it for
3
3