1/4 hp Drill Press?

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote in message

Which has nothing to do with the unit in question, only an attempt to make it sound worse than it really is. Nobody expects to buy a $40 drill press today and have it equal in quality to a $40 drill press from thirty years ago. Time, I've got lots of, money, I like to hang on to it as long as I can. IF I'm paying the bottom dollar for something, I automatically assume that I'm going to have to do some work to make it run. There's no sense in me bitching about it, I knew what it was when I bought it. The ten dollar bench grinder, mine is only four years old, and the only one that I used until a week ago. Get rid of the out of balance wheels that come with it, make new collars if it needs it, and they work fine as long as you don't abuse them. Try to push them and the smoke comes out pretty easy. No big deal.

I have seen _other_ $40-70 drill presses from real companies like HF and they're not nearly as bad. _If_ someone buys a generic DP, it's a possibility that you'll get something that nothing short of a couple day's work will cure. This was virtually unusable, not just something that needed work to be precise. I've got a big B&D Industrial (early '90s import) bench grinder that needed new wheels and new nuts. I consider that reasonable. Getting a new drill press that needs a new head cast and new motor right out of the box isn't.
GTO(John)
On 28 Apr 2004 03:47:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote:

Then sometimes you get lucky and get more than you expected. I bought a $37 HF bench grinder and a $49 drill press on sale 7 years ago and both have been flawless to this day. Ya never know.
David
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote in message

I don't know where you live, but TSC is not exactly generic. Of course, Tractor Supply Company might not be anything you've ever seen. Most of what they stock is pretty damned good. I have a HF $40 drillpress, and it's actually pretty damned good, very little slop in the quill, and the chuck even runs true. If I'm looking for better than a rough hole, I'll use the mill, drill presses are not considered precision machines the last time I looked.
Your comments about the one you got stuck with have no bearing on the one he asked about.
Your comments about the one you got stuck with have no bearing on the one he asked about.
Twice, so maybe you can see what I mean.

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID 12&sonIDY3&page=1&productID 25&zz0332 .

You can get the same thing from Harbor Freight for $10 less. I have one, much better than past cheapies, but would be struggling with anything bigger than 1/4" drill in steel. The quality of the small drills has increased, but still pretty gutless. Small work, fine, and the quills aren't even sloppy, but the chuck might be.
I'd be concerned about runout on a cheap drillpress. I've got one now that will not drill a decent hole less that 1/4" because the chuck/shaft is not true. Next one I buy will be checked at the dealer with a indicator before I buy
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GMasterman) wrote in message

Hmmm. I've never found that concentricity of the spindle was a problem, but have found one that had a bent spindle, two minutes in the press took care of that. They're not hard, straighten as easily as they bend. The chucks are a different matter, if you get one to run true, "This, too, shall pass." I have remachined the ends to 1/2"-20 and used a cheap Jacobs. Works well for a while.
Will wrote:

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID 12&sonIDY3&page=1&productID 25&zz0332 .

After looking at the drill press you can go to www.harborfreight.com and probably get the same thing for about half of that when they are on sale.. if you have a local retail harbor freight in your area then you should go look there.. but dont buy it for full price as they usually go on sale for about 1/2 of the asking price about every other two weeks... hope this helps...
I have a 1/4 hp bench top drill press and it's pretty feeble. I can stop it running quite easily by just grabbing it with my hand. Based upon my experience I couldn't recommend anything less than 1/2 hp. For what it's worth! sdh.
Will wrote:

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID 12&sonIDY3&page=1&productID 25&zz0332 .

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:30:39 -0400, Steve Hopper

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID 12&sonIDY3&page=1&productID 25&zz0332 .

My bench top 3/8" cap. 1/6 HP has been converted to a floor model and re-motored to 1/3 HP Works for me although it would be handy to have a larger chuck and greater throat depth every once in a blue moon. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID 12&sonIDY3&page=1&productID 25&zz0332 .

Looks like the same thing that HF sells, got mine for about $25 at the store. For $25, it's not a bad deal. I'd consider it a replacement for one of those "drill press stands" that Sears has for use with a standard electric drill. Works fine for that sort of thing, better than any of those stands or jigs. How well it lasts depends solely on the luck of the draw, the smoke comes out of the Chinese motors a little easier on some than others. The HF unit I have is rated at 1/3 horse, TSC probably rates it closer to actual horsepower. It fits a hole in my line-up between heavy floor model drills and the electric and pneumatic hand-held drills. I've used it on steel, aluminum and wood for several years, 3/8" is probably the largest you can go in steel with the speeds available and that's pushing it. I've run mine off my inverter and a 12v battery, adds to the uses I can put it to. If you decide to go for one, don't order by mail, get one from the store and inspect it before you leave the parking lot. Chuck runout seems to be a problem with a lot of the units, a new domestic-made chuck will run more than the whole thing cost originally.
Stan

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID 12&sonIDY3&page=1&productID 25&zz0332 .

be
nickel
don't
I have a cheap Ryobi drill press ($100 at one of those gypsy tool sales, about $25 less than at Home Depot). The only problem is that at higher speeds the belt vibrates. Having a drill press is so much better than trying to drill holes with a hand drill. For me getting a hole at a right angle to the part was a matter of luck. One for $40 may be cheap quality but unless it is total junk it will be an improvement over drilling by hand.
Scp