10hp RPC runs Airco Mig just hunky dory

Don't patronize us experts, asshole!

From what I've read, it makes little difference. There is some opinion that lower speed motors work better as idlers though I've no idea why that might be so. They're sure as hell less noisy.

I still don't fully understand how an RPC really works. Fitch admits that he doesn't either though I've no doubt that he could if he wanted to bad enough. We found some academic papers that purported to analyze them but the math swamp was way thicker than we've had the ambition to journey thru so far.

Jerry did some very interesting research with good instrumentation and a shop-made eddy-current brake that worked really well, had some findings contrary to "informed opinion". Oh well! His apparati are now dismantled and up for grabs for the quick, dumpster-destined otherwise.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Ill have to hunt around for a 17xx motor I think. It will be easier to set up and while welding really isnt a Zen thing exactly...it would be far more pleasent when not doing it next to a running GE Turbofan.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Damn. Gunner when are you going to get that matter transporter working. If I had a way of getting it here I would take that Cybertig.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

According to Gunner Asch :

You can reduce that unloaded current (as seen on your clamp-on meter) by hooking a power factor compensation capacitor across the line terminals at the input to your RPC.

They need to be AC run caps, not motor starting caps (just as tuning caps need to be).

Just start the idler up, measure the current in one of the legs (both should be the same, unless you've got a leakage path to ground somewhere), hook in a capacitor, re-measure, add more and repeat until your current starts going back up. At that point, remove the last capacitor. I would guess that you should prepare to go up in perhaps

20-50 uF steps for the size of RPC which you are talking about.

Remember -- the clamp-on meter needs to be between the breaker and the caps, not between the caps and the motor.

This will reduce the current seen by your wires and your circuit breakers. It won't have much effect on your power meter -- unless you are on a demand-metered service, in which case you would not be needing a RPC, as you would already have three phase.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's interesting to me, since I also have a 10 hp RPC. Would having these caps, in any way, improve the quality of the 3 phase supply, or is is just for the purposes of reducing out of phase unloaded current in the supply?

Ignoramus10314

Read up on tuning converters. One set of capacitors goes from L1 to the generated leg, and from L2 to the generated leg. First thing is to get those right to produce the best quality

3~ power.

Then additional power factor correction capacitors are added directly across the incoming line, L1 to L2.

It's important to to the 'tuning' first because that will substatially reduce the reactive currents all by itself.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Sounds great, I will read on it. Thank you Jim. I may indeed add them, it seems easy enough.

Ignoramus10314

When working for SLB we always kept our fingers that the labs were working on a transport to beam us here and there. Flying for 14 or 16 hours at a time was a real pain simply to fix a head to think a way and fix a problem.. then fly back. Customer support first class for them, back of the plane for us. :-)

The other want - was a hit man - but that was easier but never happened either!

Wayne Cook wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!! For you and Wayne Cook both.

Gunner, from the middle of his stacks of Stuff.

Gunner Asch

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!! Its not all that far to Bakersfield from Texas. You could use a little down time. Let the missus drive while you play the harmonica and watch the world passing your windsheild.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

There's the rub. She can't drive. Thus I'm forced to do all the driving and I can't stand to drive. It just about kills me to make the drive to Albuquerque every year to see my mother for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

If AAA Cooper goes to Arizona, you may get a great deal on shipping.

A guy from Texas bought a forklift from me (electric hand truck, electric lift but manual push). 700 lbs. With liftgate pickup from my home in IL, it cost him, drumroll, $250, at AAA cooper.

Ignoramus10314

Roadtrip for Gunner - driving a big semi - filled with racks of goodies... :-) IF only the lottery would deliver...

Gunner Asch wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Interesting but probably still to much considering what I'd want from Gunner. :-)

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Martins been to my place And he didnt go away empty handed.

And he is a very nice and very smart man.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Who owes you money that has a drivers license?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Unfortunately not many people. My main buddy for jobs like this definitely couldn't get away for long enough to get there and back.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Welllll hell. If you can think of a trucker or someone making a round about, Ill figure out how to get it to him/her and Ill send it off to you. Since I lost the warehouse, Ive got the thing, along with a bunch of lathes, grinders, gun drill, all stored out at a buddies place, outside in the open. Winter fog and rain is not all that far in the future..and while tarping the stuff is a temporary option...lots of stuff is gonna get ruined if folks dont take Stuff off my hands pretty soon. The one lady I know who was doing runs into Texas fell off her hazmat trailer in the rain and broke her back..so she is gonna be laid up for quite some time. I figure this thing has to go about 500lbs or so, at least. It will ride in the back of a pickup just fine..shrug.

Gunner

Gunner

Unfortunately I don't know any of those. At one time I thought I might have a hot shot driver who would trade for a tool box. But I've not seen her in over a year.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook