1990 kodiac dump truck running terrible

1990 kodiac dump truck running terrible 427 TBI did complete tune up plugs wire cap and rotor. will run smooth as long as i don't give it gas. the more i push the gas pedal the more it starts back firing spit sputter runs terible. the higher the rpm get then it seems to run . checked fuel pressure it is at 4 psi with key on when started goes up to 28 psi stays pretty steady there.
Reply to
mudpuppy

I had the exact same problem in a 1996 kodiak and also a GMC topkick (same kinds of trucks, I had two, now only one).

I had to replace little units, size of a thumb, I think that they were called TBI injector modules, cost about $160 each. I do not remember exactly what they were called.

I am not saying that this is what you need to do, your problem is with fuel delivery and you or your mechanic need to diagnose it properly. There are test kits out there that allow to make a proper diagnosis.

I am cutting and pasting below my notes from then. Perhaps you can find something useful.

TBI Injectors

GMC TopKick Injectors: 17112202 (630) 279-5200, until 6pm, 400 E. Roosevelt Rd., Villa Park, Delco 217-340
manuals:

Ignoramus4770

Injectors or regulator assembly is leaking. It's dumping extra fuel into the engine.

Reply to
Steve W.

Worn out camshaft - at least one lobe has "gone south"

Reply to
clare

I really want to thank you all for the info. but actually the tune up did fix the problem my dumb ^%$# had two plug wires crossed 5 and 7 thanks Mud puppy

Reply to
Mudpuppy