Terrible Waste

I was sent this link, regarding a plane that was chopped up by a chainsaw? To an airplane nut, this looks like vandalism at its worst. As there is no byline included with this pic, does anyone know about this? publicity stunt or..?

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Shamash

My understanding is that this was caused by an idiot hand starting his small plane because the battery was low. He didn't think to set the brakes first. The runaway plane ate a number of other airplanes as it taxied thru the airport.

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

Propeller damage from another aircraft in a taxi accident.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have seen that pic b4. It was the result of a runaway plane, those are progressive prop strikes.

Reply to
David Poles

| I was sent this link, regarding a plane that was chopped up by a chainsaw? | To an airplane nut, this looks like vandalism at its worst. As there is no | byline included with this pic, does anyone know about this? publicity stunt | or..? |

That picture has been floating around for a long time, sent around by lots of people.

The explanation that I've heard before was that a plane was started by somebody not actually sitting in the plane, and the brakes weren't on, so the plane started moving and it's prop did all this damage.

I don't know if that's the *true* story, but it certainly makes more sense than a chainsaw ...

ObRC: blech, rain! I wanna go fly!

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Ok, what happened here was a student pilot, starting a plane that did not have the brake on, then getting out to do something. This was the same as a similar event at the same airfield within a 2 week period, the other event, someone hopped out to hand start, no brake. but less damage.

It happened around the middle of 2002 at my local airport.

Parafield Airport in South Australia.

There have been numerous articles on the full details.

One of the members of our model club works at this airfield and saw the plane first hand - that plane was a write-off and the one that hit it had over $90K damage as well.

I had a printed copy of an article in an ultralight magazine. I am sure if you do a search, you would be able to find out more info.

It was not a terrible waste, but a valuable lesson learned. The student pilot is not a student anymore and will never be a commercial pilot at the front of a commercial aircraft you may fly one day.

It is just so funny how it takes just a few years and lack of information for such a story to be twisted, chainsaw? that has the making of a movie, the Parafield Airplane massacre!

Bob in Aus

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
strathboy

That was a actual oops where one plane hit this one with a prop. Really happened.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

nope it was ran into by another aircraft. what you see are the results of a prop walking up the side of the plane.

I have a copy of the incident report someplace. if I can locate it, i will e-mail it to you.

Reply to
W4JLE

Reply to
scooter

Now for the rest of the story.....

Doug Dorton

Yeah, it's true; looked up the registration once--VH-XBZ. It's Aussie, alright.

Worse between Giddings and Austin on the way up; got nastier between Brenham and Houston on the way back. Sunday's forecast is cloudy, 20%, and 53°.

Yeah, I know, it's Texas; who know's what it'll actually be...

J.D. to e-mail, pull the post

Reply to
J.D.

Thanks for settling that one!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Thanks all for replying and clearing this up. So it was an accident. That URL line implied something much more sinister- and that being posted at a radio station site..

Regards Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Shamash

Yes, that's the Parafield airport accident. Parafield is the local private aircraft base here in Adelaide, West Beach is the commercial airport. That incident sure took over the headline tv news for a while :)

Brian Hampton Adelaide, South Oz

Reply to
Brian

Looks like prop damage to me.

mike

Reply to
skyhawk

It was done by an irate husband. the plane belonged to his loyal wife's lover.... and it was a chainsaw.. and boy, that had to hurt someone's feelings.

Arne

Reply to
Arne

look closer, it was a runaway planes prop that did the damage, the damage very symetrical. Either Australia or New Zealand can't remember which but there have been numerous post on this subject in the last week. Donald

Reply to
DMPLMP

If it was done with a chainsaw, each and every slice had to be aligned and spaced with incredible precision before the 'massacre' commenced. Hardy the work of a berserkski. Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard