Need info on old Midwest "Mach 1" pattern kit

Hi all,

I posted this on RCU also, so don't be upset if you read it twice! Here it goes:

A friend just gave me a Midwest "Mach 1" pattern plane that he picked up at an estate sale approximately 10 years ago. I don't know how long it had been sitting prior to that.

Basically, it is a .60 size, 62" wingspan pattern ship with Foam Core Wings and Stab. Unfortunately, there is only 1 sheet of plans with the fuse on it, and no instruction book or any directions on what to do with the foam wing, etc. It looks like it was started briefly, as the left and right fuse sides look assembled (albeit poorly). I'm not sure if all the parts are there, as I can't find a parts list!

Does anyone know anything about this style of plane, such as its history, is it a good flyer, any characteristics, info on building, etc? Also, if anyone has access to the full set of plans and instruction manual, and is willing to make me a set or sell them, it would be a huge help!

Reply to
John Beck

Top pattern plane late 60`s early 70`s. Valuable collectors kit if complete.

Reply to
SKYLANE42

Designed by Norm Page and flown with much success back in the early '70s.

I may be wrong, but I think RCM did the plans. Worth a check with them. The airfoil was much slimmer than the standard for those days and the machine led the way into faster pattern planes. OTOH, I don't remember mine having any bad slow-speed habits other than those induced at the control sticks!!! I remember watching Norm make it look really nice.

Good luck.

HC

Reply to
CainHD
Reply to
Ernie V

"Lot of carving" is almost a misnomer...........you glue together about six big blocks of balsa and carve away everything that doesn't look like a Mach

  1. Having said that, it was/is a great flying airplane and well worth the effort to build.

Reply to
Tom Minger

Ernie,

Thanks alot for your help! I sent you an offline email...

Thanks to everyone else as well!

Reply to
John Beck

Dear friends I will pay for a set of mach one pattern plane plans

design by Norm Page, Thanks Car

-- mach

----------------------------------------------------------------------- mach 1's Profile:

this thread:

mach 1

I had the Midwest kit of this model in 73 or 74. The only thing that I didn't care for was the wood fuselage instead of a fiberglass fuselage. I couldn't afford the matching Super Tigre G60 Bluehead and Rhom-Air landing gear, so I sold it. Such was the life of a musician in those days. Most of my money went to music equipment back then.

Sure wish I had that kit today. It was a really beautiful model.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

I now have the plans for the mach one, and can see why it may not have stayed in production- so many big blocks of wood, and so much carving, you would think you had a roast turkey to carve up when you get it all together, I,m going to build it anyway

-- mach

----------------------------------------------------------------------- mach 1's Profile:

this thread:

mach 1

there has a parts list made up I will pay for it. Car

-- mach

----------------------------------------------------------------------- mach 1's Profile:

this thread:

mach 1

I enjoy carving the most of any aspect of building models.

The Mach 1 was a beauty. I wish I still had the kit that I never put together back in the seventies. Now I have the G60 Bluehead that would have been perfect for it.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I kinda enjoy carving also, although carving out the cowl of a Kadet Senior, or even the back, cowl, and cheek of a Kaos, is far lass dauting.

One thing I like is that balsa is easy to whittle, easy to sand, and with an aircraft you can just smooth out your mistakes and most of the time its not enough to notice, or if it is you can say you "modified" the design.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

In that same vein, I "modified" all of my models. Few ever turned out stock, even when I tried really hard to duplicate the designer's efforts accurately.

The Mach I was the true transition aircraft from the old fixed gear Kaos/Kwik Fli planes to sleek, retract gear equipped models. The Super Kaos was mostly built with fixed gear, although it was Joe's attempt at jumping into retract gear.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I have a nib and a started mach 1 that I am going to sell along with 15

other kit

-- bushpilotx

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bushpilotx1's Profile:

this thread:

bushpilotx1

Reply to
MJKolodziej

"bushpilotx1" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@rcgroups.com...

------------

Please put my email address on your list for receiving THE LIST.

ecregger AT hotmail.com

Thanks.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I´m just flying a Mach 1 from Aviomodelli, the same as Midwest Mach one balsa wood from Midwest but with tappered foam wings and rear control surfaces and ABS plastic fuselage, with a Rossi .60 and tuned pipe. Is possible that I´ve the plans of

Mach one from Midwest but I need time to find out it in my old...very old archive plans. My e-mail is: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.es. Please contact me in two weeks for confirm you if I really have these plans. If yes, you will paid only the fees of shipment. Regards

Reply to
vvcunene

I have a midwest mach 1 started never finished with an extra set of wings if anyone is interested, geoff

Reply to
bushpilotx1

Hi Bushpilotx1. I may be interested. Where are you located? How far along is it? What condition. How much etc. etc.

-Rob-

Reply to
ve7eje

I'd like to get a kit myself. Please send condition and price to snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net