Silver Jubilee photos needed.

I've been trying to find some decent pictures of the Silver Jubilee train on the net but without much sucess. From what I've seen in old footage of the Silver Link pulling the Jubilee the coaches bear no relation to the ones sold by hornby and were, in fact, articulated and had skirts. It looks like I'll have to scratch build or butcher some other coaches to get something that looks right but I really need some help finding pictures on the net. Does anyone know of a site that has some information on this train or have some pictues that they could mail me? Any help at all would be great! CJ

Reply to
CJ

Yes you are correct, not only were they articulated but IIRC (from my picture references [1]) they had a rubberised side between each coach body.

[1] Try and get hold of a publication called 'Streamlined Steam' by A.J.Mullay, David and Charles, 1994 ISBN No. 0 7i53 0171 3
Reply to
Jerry.

"CJ" wrote

They were both painted silver, but that's as close as it gets. :-(

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They were Brake 3rd/3rd pair, 3rd/kitchen/1st triplet and 1st/1st brake pair.

Mailcoach did or do kits for them, in both versions (the brake

3rd/3rd pair was rebuilt in 1938 as a brake 3rd/3rd/3rd triplet).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Now I thought that, and was going to say so in my own reply, on checking I see they are described (by a Mainly Trains advert and thus presumably by Mailcoach) as Coronation stock, AIUI they were totally different stock but I could have grasped the wrong straw about this, or could they have used the same stock (having first been used on the Silver Jubilee) IYSWIM ?

Reply to
Jerry.

The Streamlined Steam book is very good. I got one from Tony Pollatrone Railway books -

I've also been recommended the isinglass drawings (from memory, no. 100)

Coopercraft did a kit of the 8 coaches, but it's currently marked as 'deleted'.

If you speak to them, they may be able to make one up from bits in the coronation set (which was a few years later), but had the obervation car on the end - making 9 coaches in total. The set I bought from them had around

6 coach sides taken from the coronation kit. so you may end up with a few windows and doors in the wrong place.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

The Coronation and West Riding Limited shared the same design of stock, all articulated twins (brake 3rd/kitchen 3rd, 1st/1st,

3rd/kitchen 3rd, 3rd/brake 3rd); two of the sets were lettered for the Coronation, one for the WRL and the fourth was spare. The observation cars ran only with the Coronation in summer. They were totally different from the Silver Jubilee stock, being all opens whereas the SJ was compartment except for the 1st part of the brake 1st/1st twin, which had 3 comartments and the other half open seating.

I believe Mailcoach have done kits for both these sets: presumably the SJ is out of production while the Coronation/WRL is still available.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth