1992 Ford Tempo Help Needed

This might be slightly off topic but metalworking involved.

My sons 1992 Ford Tempo needs the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley removed. From everything I have heard it looks like either the motor has to be lifted to get the crankshaft nut and pulley off or we have to cut a small hole in the body just to get at the crank shaft nut assy. and that doesn't necessarily mean the pulley will slide off without raising the motor.

This newsgroup seems to a few experts on almost every subject under the sun, so if anyone has any experience with this type of repair I would be very thankful for any advice.

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

what size engine do you have? i have a 93 taurus, 3.0 engine and i did not have to move the engine to remove mine.. i had to take wheel off, jacked up and then remove the plastic inside fender liner and it was straight ahead.. used a crankshaft pulley and one of those $19.95 harbor freight Plug in the cig. lighter impact wrenches to but the nut loose... go to alt.autos.ford and ask the same question, they might be able to help, someone might have done it on a tempo,, state the engine size when you ask the question... i read on the taurus with the 3.8 engines you have to do something with the engine when taking the crankshaft pulley off, but not sure......

Reply to
jim

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:59:02 -0400, "Jimbo" pixelated:

As an ex-Ford mechanic who quit the biz in '91, I believe your best bet is to call a Ford dealership (and several independent repair places locally) to ask what the flat-rate is for the job and what it entails. Junk yards can be helpful with tricks like that, too. Ford dealers allowed us to use hole saws to cut access holes in the inner fenderwells of the Mustang V-8s (which years later fatigued because of it, and I saw a lot of repair work in a body shop I worked at years later) to change spark plugs in less than the factory-mandated 5.5 hours, including engine R&R. The dealers will tell you the safe way while the independents may have a shorter way. You'll have to determine if the shortcut makes the vehicle unsafe. G'luck!

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
JR North

jim wrote: (clip) used a crankshaft pulley and one of those $19.95 harbor freight Plug in the cig. lighter impact wrenches to but the nut loose...(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That Harbor Freight impact tool looks Mickey Mouse, but it works. I have used it to change a few flats--for 20 bucks its worth having in the trunk.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I did that repair 2 years ago. If I remember Correctly I had to loosen or un bolt the motor mounts and tilt lower the front of the motor . It's a bitch of a job. If the car is a beater I would get a sledge hamer or torch an make some clearance.Most of those cars die because the damper starts freewheeling or all the electric fans quit and the car seveerly overheats . Good luck. Ed

Reply to
edco

damed right, I hurt my back and was having trouble getting that little omp, to break the lugs loose.i bought one and took it home and tried it, could not believe how good it worked.. went back the next day and bought two more, now i have one in each car... the back is the first thing to go when getting old...

Reply to
jim

The back is the SECOND thing to go when getting old. I forget what the first thing is.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

yes that a good one.. on a recent trip to my doctor.. he asked me if i had any memory problems... i started to tell him NO.. but then thought for a moment and kinda grinned and told him that I dont and added as least i dont think i do.... and if i did how would i remember... he laughed and said, You know people who have memory problems will never admit to it and will tell you no all the time when asked this.......

Reply to
jim

My dad bought 2 of these cars and both are still going. Never had the head off either one. One has over 300,000 miles on it and the other almost has

300,000 miles. He did replace a transmission in one. He died about 2 months ago. I may try to get one from the estate.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.