304 stainless etching

I am trying find the proper method to obtain photo quality acid etchings on stainless steel. I've included an example of what I would like to achieve.

This was acid etched on 304 stainless

thanks,

Joe

Reply to
shmoeusn

It's possible to etch 304 with ferric chloride, masking with KPR (Kodak photoresist) just about like with copper printed circuit photofabrication. I vaguely recollect the photoresist had to be baked after application (it didn't adhere well otherwise).

Reply to
whit3rd

responding to

shmoeusn wrote: is it possible to achieve the various shades of black and gray to etch a photograph with this method?

Reply to
shmoeusn

You probably need to screen it, like a halftone photo in a magazine.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I have never managed a decent etch with Ferric Chloride on stainless. It works on mild steel but slowly and the etch is shallow compared with copper and brass.

Electro-etching is a possibility in but given the nature of the image the details of the process will be critical. I have never done half-tones that way.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

I'd say ill advised. Can you tell me you have a coating of Fe ? I hope not. It would rust.

Is the layer all Ni ? - likely not enough and magnetic.

Is the layer all Chrome ? more likely with pitting of localized Fe - needing to be neutralized with Citrus or Nitric.

Stainless is a complex steel. I'd etch with grit and resist.

Mart> resp> is it possible to achieve the various shades of black and gray to etch a

Reply to
Martin Eastburn