"4oz ball pein" what was the troll about?

well it wasnt a troll it was a serious question.

locally in a year of searching I havent seen a single solitary 4oz ball pein anywhere I've looked.

the purpose was/is to do the metal forming on a set of replacement cowlings for an Auster J1b. these are out of aluminium with a rolled wire edge. my two little ball pein hammers are superb for the way I work but with lots of use they have rougher faces than what I'd like.

what I wanted was some new hammers that I could polish the faces on exclusively for aircraft metal work.

from the links that you guys posted I'm green with envy :-) at the sheer diversity of tools you guys have in america.

what are we coming to in australia when you can only buy 4oz ball pein hammers mail order from america. when I started out to get some new ones I would never have believed that in a year of looking I'd be able to say that I still havent found any.

thanks Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

I found one Oz source

Looks like they have 3 types around $20 mark. The tools RS sells are usually good quality. Try p/n 251-520. I dont know where you are but they've got trade counters in most cap cities and do phone orders & the online thing as well. Dont know if this helps.

Reply to
Den

PS - I checked other places who I thought would have them (ie Blackwoods, Cooper Tools etc) and they did not stock anything. There are very few places I know of here (Australia) that sell much more than crap chinese tools. I dont know what your background is but you probably didnt look at RS as they are primarily an electronics/electrical supplier.

Reply to
Den

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:01:26 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Den" quickly quoth:

--snip--

Considering the cost of global mail to AU from the real world (gd&r), that's a really decent value.

SP, if you're jealous of our tools, how do you feel about our politicians? Want some? I'll see if we can ship for FREE!

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

See if you can find a couple of the 3M Deburring wheels. $$ but worth it, as they do a wonderful job on knocking down edges and rough surfaces on hammer faces and on the peens.

Got a jewellers supply mail order outfit around? They are likely to have the smaller size hammers.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

[snip]

Googling the

This one might be a maybe but they don't like my security settings.

Sorry, I didn't realize earlier that you are in Austrailia. I know shipping prices suck since I looked into buying some vegemite for my mom who loves the stuff and was shocked by the shipping costs.

Hope this helps,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Australia. Sorry. should have spl chkd. ;) Wes

Reply to
Wes

Is Austrailia that big trailer park where all the white trash live, or is it what the white trash guy says to the white trash girl when she says "Ausleavinya"?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Some? Shit, Larry, he can have 'em ALL! Starting from scratch might not be a bad thing.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:27:00 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor qualm, John Martin quickly quoth:

(Shhhh! Don't let him know until the entirely _full_ tramp steamer gets there.)

Not "might not", John. Would not and could not.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Only if you take our Prime Minister - he eats his earwax during parliament.....

Den

[ ... ]

Hmm ... hasn't Oz metricated? Why not look for a 113 gram one instead? :-)

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I pretty sure $nap-On has dealers in Australia.

They make $18.35 (USD) 4oz Ball Peens, and even more expensive 2oz ones for $18.45 (USD).

4oz
2oz
(If the links don't work, just go to snapon.com and search.)

However, with their prices it might be cheaper flying to the US to buy one. :)

As another poster noted, I'm sure if you snooped around sites that sell jewelry tools and supplies, you'd find them locally.

The Auster looks like it'll be fun.

Would love to see some shots of the one your working on... you can put them up in the drop box, and post a link to them here.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:26:28 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Den" quickly quoth:

SOLD! Disgusting is a lot cheaper than total corruption and greed. We'll ship 'em to Perth and make them walk the Outback to get to wherever you want 'em. Start spreading the word that they taste just like chicken (or wombats, but much better than roo), wot?

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:26:28 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Den" quickly quoth:

Send him over on Blue Sky Airlines, please.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't worry we've got the corruption & greed as well!

Reply to
Den

Den you may have solved my problem. There is one in Osborne park. I'll check their cattledog tomorrow at work.

Blackwoods were bought out by westfarmers as are Bunnings afaik. they have a business model based on 20% of stock doing 80% of the trade. so now they only stock the fast moving 20%. they have become a joke. their cattledog entries make no mention of head weights.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

And he tells us that his Global Warming Carbon Tax will only add

0.9% to the cost of living. Oink Oink from the sky. Where will all that tax money go ??

Seriously, For OP my son says that the craft shop where DiL works on Sunday sells a small bp hammer, if in Perth area try Scrapbook Secrets in Maddington

Alan

Reply to
Alan

shocked by

you want vegemite ????? thats easy :-) trade you half a dozen bottles of vegemite for pair of a genuine merkin 4oz ball peins.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

they're even rarer :-)