9" South Bend with tooling - How Much?

It depends a lot on where you are. I'm continually surprised at what people claim are reasonable prices for machines. I've done a fair bit of shopping (and buying a few) in both Colorado and Maine--the prices I'd expect are genearlly higher than people claim is reasonable. Ten years ago now, but I sold a 10" Logan with similar tooling for $1500 in Colorado. Excellent condition admittedly. I sort of doubt that prices have dropped that much (in Colorado). That said, I have no idea what prices are like in St. Louis.

Steve

Grant Erw> RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

The Ebay price is not the whole story though, transport can cost as much again, if you have to pay to have it done for you.

To me the deal killer is not the price, it's the buyer setting two prices, one for the lathe, and another for the lathe and the parts that should come with.

A 9" SB in my area would draw a price of that or more if it was useable at all. (northeast Alberta, Canada). If I bought a pig in a poke off Ebay for a grand or so, it would cost me near that in transport to get it here.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I might point out that there is a fair amount of griping voiced in this newsgroung about the outragous prices found for some items on

I have bought itmes for decent prices (including my

10"x24" Logan lathe) but those items tend to go VERY fast. And those are the items that WON'T be talked about on this NG. (unless it is a gloat) Keep in mind that ASK prices do not mean SELL prices.

But let's get back to basics: The OP asked if $1950 ask $1700 bid was a decent offer. Way too much in my opinion. Your opinion is that it is a good price or at least a "your only choice but to pay because that's the way it is in St. Louis" price. I offered my opinion but I can't say for sure becasue I have not researched the market in that area. Have you?

Grant Erw>

Reply to
RoyJ

Not all eBay deals involve shipping. For heavier stuff, local buyers have an advantage of not having to pay the shipping cost, and they often win stuff because of it.

Ignoramus19864

All things said and done, looks like I need to keep looking...

I'm going to throw out an offer for 1,100 for everything, but I am guessing that he wont take it.

Any one in the midwest have a good lather to sell cheap?

Steve Smith wrote:

Reply to
KoF

St. Louis? You just missed a local one on ebay a month or 2 ago. It was a SB, an older model that at first had no bids with a minimum of $500. Was re-listed and and sold for $650. St. Louis has a group of guys that have their own newsgroup. Here's the link. You might want to post what you're looking for there.

in STL are you?

-Mike

KoF wrote:

Reply to
mlcorson

Yeah, I know that Iggy. It works well if there are any of what you want available locally.

I was looking in out Bargain Finder paper today and there was a lightly equipped 9 inch model C South Bend listed in there with a $2500 asking price. In Edmonton Alberta.

I'd say he'll get it or very near.

Home shop metal lathes are not exactly thick on the ground around here, and the only way to get one at the prices talked about here is to be VERY lucky. The name recognition of the South Bend is easy to capitalise on, too.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Yes, maybe I am spoiled because I am in a metropolitan area. You definitely has a point. Still, some waiting and looking around can produce some good results.

Ignoramus19864

It's like realestate---location, location, location. I've looked at a couple of SB 9's in my area (rural remote ) change gear types that brought twice the price or more than what most on this board would even think of paying.

$450-$750 for a bare 9x24 SB9 mod A in fair condition.

$3 diesel isn't helping prices either..

ED

Reply to
ED

That would be a model C, right? Not a terribly bad price for that, if it's not clapped out. The discussion was paying over 1500 for a poorly tooled model C. For an interesting comparison, check out the deal this guy got at the practical machininist board:

Paid a fair price, got a lot.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I get confused on the model #'s- plain change gear type.

They were pretty good shape, only no QC box. tooling ect.

Very sweet unit, I'm sure it will bring years of satisfaction to the new owner. Some guys have told me that the SB plain bearing lathes with a 3 ph motor are smoother cutting that other gearhead types, I dunno. I like mine.

ED

Reply to
ED