A Fadal problem

I have a Fadal 15XT. When in three axis mode and the machine is commanded to go to fixture offset during the setup procedure the Z axis moves first, then the other two axes move. But when in 4 axis mode, X,Y,Z,A, the fourth axis moves first, then the Z axes moves and so on. This can make for excitement and/or grief if the fourth axis crashes into an edge finder or into the 3D edge finder. Is there a parameter that can be changed to move the Z axis first and the A axis last? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I don't have a 4th axis unit hooked up right now so you'll have to experiment... but pretty sure if you command G91X0Y0Z0A0E** then no motion will occur, which will allow you to then go back into G90 mode in the next block and then command each axis on an individual basis, moving a single axis per subsequent block if need be.

This still leaves the problem of using HO ( home ) command for in the case where you have an external brake or you are stabilizing your part with a vise of some sort.... what you will need to do then is power down, add the 4th axis unit to your parameter list, power down, loosen the vise, connect the 4th axis cabling, power up, index your part, tighten the vise, remove your 4th axis in your parameters list, power down, remove the 4th axis cabling, then power up once more.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

How about making the proper moves in the proper order in your programming...on separate lines?

Cramming too many commands on the same line can have serious..unintended consequences.

Your lines should be:

X,Y,Z move A move

A simple but extremely important thing to remember.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

experiment... but pretty sure if you command G91X0Y0Z0A0E** then no motion will occur, which will allow you to then go back into G90 mode in the next block and then command each axis on an individual basis, moving a single axis per subsequent block if need be.

where you have an external brake or you are stabilizing your part with a vise of some sort.... what you will need to do then is power down, add the 4th axis unit to your parameter list, power down, loosen the vise, connect the 4th axis cabling, power up, index your part, tighten the vise, remove your 4th axis in your parameters list, power down, remove the 4th axis cabling, then power up once more. The problem is in the setup menu, option 8. So after finding and entering all the axes orientations for a particular fixture offset you have the option of going to that offset. When you press start the A axis moves first, then Z. I want Z to move first when I press start after pressing option 8 in the setup menu. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

experiment... but pretty sure if you command G91X0Y0Z0A0E** then no motion will occur, which will allow you to then go back into G90 mode in the next block and then command each axis on an individual basis, moving a single axis per subsequent block if need be.

case where you have an external brake or you are stabilizing your part with a vise of some sort.... what you will need to do then is power down, add the 4th axis unit to your parameter list, power down, loosen the vise, connect the 4th axis cabling, power up, index your part, tighten the vise, remove your 4th axis in your parameters list, power down, remove the 4th axis cabling, then power up once more.

Don't "go to that offset", rather, "invoke" that offset using non-motion command, g91

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

experiment... but pretty sure if you command G91X0Y0Z0A0E** then no motion will occur, which will allow you to then go back into G90 mode in the next block and then command each axis on an individual basis, moving a single axis per subsequent block if need be.

where you have an external brake or you are stabilizing your part with a vise of some sort.... what you will need to do then is power down, add the 4th axis unit to your parameter list, power down, loosen the vise, connect the 4th axis cabling, power up, index your part, tighten the vise, remove your 4th axis in your parameters list, power down, remove the 4th axis cabling, then power up once more.

The problem is that I want to go to the offset to check myself. I guess I'll need to make sur I jog the Z axis up out of the way first whenever I use the 4th axis. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Sounds like a good idea.

Typically, I will first jog the z axis clear of the part, then I'll issue the HO command, to send the machine home....

Then, in order to verify my offset, I would issue the following command in MDI mode:

G0E1X0Y0A0

And then I switch into jog mode and move the indicator down towards the part /fixture/whatever...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I do the same thing except I mostly use the option that sends the machine to the fixture offset before I exit the setup menu. It's faster. I could save time by not checking the nfixture offset though. I was admonished by someone at the CNCZONE website for checking the fixture offset. I was told that I needed to have more confidence in my self. The poster told me he has never checked his fixture offsets because he has confidence in his abilities. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I don't often use that feature, it sends the z axis home which means you are going to have to crank the the handle a whole bunch; so might as well just dial it up by 1/2 in or so instead, then issue goxoyoeo in mdi then dial it back down again.

In either case, it's only a few seconds though, so whatever works for you I guess..

I usually don't double check them either...depends on the dollar value of the workpeice and so forth...

That said, I've always been in the habit of sending the tool to the position X0 Y0 Z3.0000 as the first move after every tool change; this gives me an opportunity to do a quick visual check while still allowing enought time to abort by pressing feedhold if anything looks the least bit suspicious.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT