A Piece of Internet History

Durham, NC -- This week marks the end of an era for one of the earliest pieces of Internet history, which got its start at Duke more than 30 years ago.

On May 20, Duke will shut down its Usenet server, which provides access to a worldwide electronic discussion network of newsgroups started in

1979 by two Duke graduate students, Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis.

Black Dragon

Thanks, I'd never have known this. I printed off the web page, I think it's a historic moment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's as if Ford shut their factory down.

We all should bow our heads in a moment of silence.

Reply to
vinny

AAAaaaah, "USENET".

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

--Gene Spafford, 1992

Flash

Reply to
Flash