A simple way to Tri-cut the butt of a drill bit?

My surface grinder is reasonably well shielded to absorb such mayhem. Once I was working near a surface grinder that the operator pushed too hard, fragmenting the wheel. One large chunk thumped loudly into and dented the steel door about 50' away. The rim velocity is ~60MPH. I count myself lucky to not have more vivid tales of sharp flying machine fragments, though I have been spattered with another machinist's blood and finger parts.

It's informative to helplessly watch a piece of equipment shake loose and fall off your motorcycle at that speed. I had a can of soda burst like a grenade when it hit the asphalt below my boot. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Cool. :)

I showed up right after they hauled the guy away. He was on a track welding gang that uses thermite to weld the rails together. A cable driven hand grinder's gas engine's governer went haywire and he was reaching over to kill it when the grinding wheel exploded. It broke both forearm bones and just about cut his hand off. :(

It was a brown resinoid wheel, ~16 grit ~8"x 1".

I've seen them track welders using 8"x 1/8" grinding discs and putting so much side pressure on 'em that the edge of the disc was ~3/4" out of line! 8-/ ...and they're just grinding away! LOL :)

There's a time limit. The dispatcher gives you the time between trains and you have to decide if you can get the job done in that much time.

-------------------

What's weird is the guy that got hurt was a brother to a buddy of mine in my-department and was going there just to meet 'im. :)

Alvin in AZ retired signlape

Reply to
alvinj

Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch wrote:

Oooo... I remember that. :) I was hanging out here when that happened. :)

We had to wait a day or two for the picture.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Yes -- but since you will want to be flatting the whole length of the reduced shank, you will need to grip at the larger diameter, so the full set of collets -- at least 1" down to 1/2" -- I guess that you don't need the smaller ones.

There is MSC (or other vendors) -- but not as affordable as your "Kent's", likely.

[ ... ]

While I posted with two spellings -- one of which *may* be right. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've never tried it and wouldn't consider it a good practice, but.. using a small strip of silicon carbide wet-or-dry paper around a drill shank may improve the chuck's grip in a moment of desperation.

Cleaning any abrasive dust from the chuck afterward may prevent any detrimental effects. For an old, worn chuck, a smear of valve grinding paste on the drill shank may save the day, in a MacGyver emergency situation.

The SC paper gripping method works well in vises for gripping hard surface workpieces.

Shirley Someone has tried this one time.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

This Shirley hasn't tried it yet but will be pretty dangged soon. xD

Surely in AZ

Reply to
alvinj