Abene mill gearbox insides

errrr - that was just my mistake - yes, they are made in sweden - I must have been thinking of cheese, not the mill when I wrote that, sorry. Oh, and each of those gears actually has three needle bearings inside - this thing could probably run for a few centuries without showing wear on these internal parts - it's really amazing.

Reply to
Bill Noble

There are two brass pieces in the gear box - at the top is a brass gear that is driven by a worm gear (that goes into the rear housing) - the worm is driven by a 2 hp motor, in my case via a flat belt.

The other brass (bronze?) piece is the sifter fork, that moves two gears up and down based on the rotating of the gear sleector lever. Thsi is a 12 speed gearbox, as I recall.

Reply to
Bill Noble

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 23:22:29 -0800, the infamous "Bill Noble" scrawled the following:

Ah, that explains its shape.

Yes, I saw that one, too, and thought it might be a thrust bearing.

Thankee, sirs.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

well, now you see what the lag for Teranet postings are - these duplicates were posted through teranet, then I reposted using motzarella -

one more piece of info for those owinging these mills

the diameter of the input shaft to the gearbox is 15mm, output shaft from the gearbox is 16mm, and I measured the key on the input shaft as 5.1 mm (I'll bet it's really 5 mm)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Bill Noble

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 08:34:31 -0800, the infamous "Bill Noble" scrawled the following:

OK, thanks, Bill.

-- Latin: It's not just for geniuses any more.

Reply to
Larry Jaques