Adapter plate

I decided to do a project that involves both casting and milling , with some lathe work tossed in for good measure . I've been pondering (I learned the big words from my wife the teacher) how to mount a chuck to my new rotary table . So this afternoon while the wife recovered on the couch , I made a pattern . It's foam , it's buried in bonded sand , and when finish machined will be a round plate with four slots that will bolt to the rotary table with a threaded "spindle" on the front to screw a chuck onto . By cutting the slots at right angles to the radial slots on the RT , I'll be able to adjust it for center . Pour in the morning ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

This is of great interest to me. Do you have any pictures?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Yes , I have posted some at three of the yahoo groups I read and plan to post more . Haven't I seen your name on one of the milling machine groups ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

When I made an adapter plate for a 3 jaw chuck for my rotary table I added a boss in the centre which locates in the central hole of the RT when the Morse taper adapter is removed. That allows me to drop it in place and go as it is accurate enough, about 0.001" TIR, for all I normally do. The boss is removable for times when I just place the chuck and adapter straight onto the mill bed for holding round pieces.

Reply to
David Billington

I have a hole in the center of the adapter for just that reason - to center it on the RT . However , since the 3 jaw chuck is known to be off a bit , I've built in some adjustment by milling the mounting slots tangent to the center hole rather than radial . Turned out rather well , the slots are just over an inch long and 5/16"+ wide . I'll use a plug to center the plate , then pull it so I can run stock thru and fine-tune the chuck if needed . And if I want to mill a cam ... I can either set it up in the four jaw , or set the 3 off-center in relation to the RT centerpoint .

Reply to
Terry Coombs