aircraft newsgroup?

A friend has been appointed administrator of his late brother's estate. Among the items in the estate are 2 20' trailers with disassembled airplanes in them. One is some sort of Lycoming and the other holds a plane called a J3 Kitten. Is there a newsgroup for aircraft enthusiasts similar to this one where he can ask questions about the value of what he has and how to sell them?

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

Here's a few:

net.aviation.homebuilt net.aviation.marketplace rec.aviation rec.aviation.homebuilt rec.aviation.markeplace rec.aviation.restoration

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Unfortunately none have had much traffic lately...

Reply to
CaveLamb

My dad is active in the EAA - Experimental Aircraft Association.

I see it has a Forums section.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Wikipedia entries on ultralights like the J3

have reference links to some useful info.

Also:

And I think it is also classifiable as a light-sport-aircraft.

and of course ebay.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Or contact the EAA and see if there's an active club in your area -- if you're lucky, there is one, and there'll be someone in the club who can help out with that sort of thing.

Don't be surprised if the value is way lower than you think it should be. People from 'outside' an enthusiast group can get enthralled by the prices for some pro-built super-zoot thing and think that it applies to everything. It doesn't -- the value of a half-assembled kit is often less than the value of a factory new kit; the value of an owner-assembled 'knock-around' airplane is going to be much less than the same thing that's built to win trophies at shows (assuming they have such things).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Yep, not a lot of value here. Even a nicely completed owner assembled plane is not worth that much. My dad had his RV-8 for sale for nearly a year. He finally got $60K. About the price of the parts. And he had

6000 hours build time in it.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Dunno if this has any applicability here, but one of my coworkers has a souped-up Bucket T roadster that's been appraised at 35K, and my cousin Owen in Lake Crystal, Minnesota still has Grampa's original equipment Model A that you'd have to pay somebody to haul away, wood floorboards and all.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The 'A' is probably worth something -- even one that grew up on salted roads and had a tree fall on it is probably still worth a few hundred if it's got most of the parts. But unless it's either rare or in superlative condition it's probably somewhere in three digits territory.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

If anyone wants to see the ads and pix, here they are:

engineman