Ajax / Speedaire compressors any good?

I was about set to buy a new 60-gal / 3hp single-stage Ingersoll-Rand compressor (around $550) when I ran across an ad for a used compressor of similar size. The owner (who inherited it) says the paperwork calls it an Ajax, but the name Speedaire is on the pump (or was it the other way around?). Anyone have an opinion on either or both of these brands? Would $200 be a reasonable price if it's in decent condition? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. What are the key things to look for when checking out a used compressor?

Thanks. Bert

Reply to
Bert

I had a Speedaire for years. Durable but noisy. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

According to

some Ingersoll-Rand and Speedaire compressors were built by DeVilbiss so you never know for sure who really made the one you're looking at.

As for what to look for, I'm sure there are others that know quite a bit more about them than I but here's my $0.02 worth. :-)

Direct drive is really noisy so you'll probably want belt drive.

A cast iron compressor is better than cast aluminum.

Make sure the tank's in good shape. If it's old it may be close to rusting through at the bottom where water collects. Open the drain to see if there's water in it and what it looks like. There almost certainly will be water unless someone drained it and hasn't used it and it will probably be milky or yellow but it shouldn't look really rusty.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I have seen Ajax brand in some surplus catalog. Perhaps surplus center.

Speedair is a W.W. Grainger brand.

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood