Alternative Battery LR44

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
(...)

Ouch. I found Autocad to have a vertical learning curve.
(...)

I feel your pain.
After attempting Autocad and n+1 no-cost 'cad' programs, I stumbled across Generic CADD (Later Visual CADD). Suddenly, I could draw and print!
That experience flattened the learning curve with Rhino3D. I've heard good things about Alibre, but never tried it.
--Winston

El Capitan should be so lucky. (For the unwashed, that's a sheer 3k' vertical cliff in Yosemite. )

Cool.
That leaves just one other vertical cliff: the cost.
-- Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.
In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but never have been able to reach.
The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours. -- Ayn Rand
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm sounding like a broken CD here, but if you are enrolled at your local JC, you can get the student discount for Rhino.
$195 instead of $995 is an insane bargain.
--Winston

So are CA JCs. Up here, courses cost $130 per credit, with most courses 3+ credits, plus half a dozen extra college fees. I'd be back up to $995 in a heartbeat with 2 basic classes. But thanks for the thought. Welding and landscaping programs cost upward of $3k each here. I think a commercial course would be cheaper.
My Adobe products cost $100 each as a dealer, but they stopped that practice. Now everyone pays outrageous prices. I never sold a single extra copy because online dealers beat my vendor (Ingram Micro and TechData) pricing every single time, and savvy buyers went there.
-- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
So get on the other side of the equation and let the JC purchase your discounted software, yes?
Teach a 'beginning XTML' telecourse for your local JC/CC.
Your local JC is swamped with folks who want to know this stuff!
Looka here: http://www.roguecc.edu/Schedule/?coursenumber=9.257 The course scheduled for January filled up quickly!
--Winston

Most mfgrs require specific courses to purchase the software, or they did the last time I looked. Sometimes they checked, other times they didn't, but Crom help you if you cheated. You were buggered for it.

Not EVEN! I wouldn't survive the lugubrious liberal bastion of blubbering maroons. As a student, it would be bad enough, but as an instructor, look out! Besides, they don't hire people who don't believe in AGWK. And I refuse to put a Bammy sticker on my vehicle. They'll just have to do without me.

That's because there is none offered in any quarter, sir. P.S: That note said "Current Term is Fall 2011" not "full".
-- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Sir Winston Churchill
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:57:09 -0800, Larry Jaques

Rhino requires documentation that you're either a teacher or a student. I sent them a photocopy of my wife's teacher ID. That got me an upgrade from v. 2 (which I owned and used at Wasino) to v. 4 for $95.
--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress wrote:
(...)

Ah! See, Larry? It works! :)
I see that McNeel requires either a dated student ID or a dated, current class schedule on the student side or an dated faculty ID card or recent faculty/staff pay stub on the instructor side. You could teach "Conservative Underwater Basketweaving 101" and still qualify.
--Winston

Oh, sure. For Mafia/PTA/Union-connected Jersyites.

I wonder if I could get a SCBA setup for dirt cheap as instructor for that class...
-- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
I wouldn't doubt it for a minute.
--Winston
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
They must have dropped the 'full' classes on their website this AM, shortly after I posted. Note that it now says "(Current Term is Winter - 2012)"
That makes sense. You don't want the web list full of courses that you cannot offer to new students, after all.
The demand is there. 'Sounds like they could use your help. :)
--Winston
Larry Jaques wrote: (...)

http://www.roguecc.edu/Schedule / Plug in to 'Course Number' on the left side:CS195
:)
--Winston

Me no teach. Me no like liberal institutions. You stop, OK meester?
-- However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, all right. :)
--Winston
<snip>

I have Alibre, and use it occasionally for 3D stuff, but it's a bit buggy. If you don't apply constraints just right when aligning parts, it will disassemble things at weird angles. "Undo" works, so it's not fatal, but annoying.
For 2D, I use AutoSketch. When AutoDesk was getting their butts kicked in the 2D market by a program called Drafix, they bought them out, flushed their product & re-labled Drafix as AutoSketch. I've used it for everything for about 23 years, from laying out 44 GHz power amps to mapping the electrical wiring in my attic. The drawings are in Windows metafile format under the hood, so they import into Word & PowerPoint fairly seamlessly. The downside is that they layed off the development team years ago, and it hasn't entirely kept up with changes Microsoft has made in the metafile world. It's still my tool of choice for almost everything, in large part because I can do stuff in it very quickly. 23 years ago, I had never used a CAD tool before, and I don't recall having much trouble getting started. On the otherhand, I am still finding shortcuts for some operations.
Version 9 is plenty good enough for most things, and being one release out of date, is available for short money (< $25 if you shop around).
Doug White

I haven't yet run into this, but I'm sure I will.
Being buggy is normal with a "clean new design", and is the price for not having to learn all the eccentric curliques of a beloved product, now at release 781.0.50.

Not having 23 years invested in any CAD program, I want to start with a newer one that is actively supported, and grow older with it.
Joe Gwinn

<snip>
To avoid that problem while constraining parts in an assembly, anchor the 1st part (preferably a "central" part). To do that right click on the part name in the Design Explorer and select "Anchor Part". You may want to constrain that first part to the major planes or axes before anchoring, but if you do, delete the constraints after anchoring to avoid over-constraint errors..

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Doug White
Joseph Gwinn Inscribed thus:

Oddly enough I found Autocad very un-intuitive though not overly difficult. I find Draftsight much easier to get on with, though I must confess I originally started with Turbocad way way back in the DOS days and did a lot of PCB work using that until I discovered Eagle.
Draftcad is an excellent 2D/3D platform and as you say, reads and writes DFX/DWG perfectly. Certainly well enough to feed straight into a laser cutter and auto punch press. It does have some bugs though and its behavior is different between Winblows and Linux. The DO/UnDo is very handy at times particularly when a bug causes an unexpected effect.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Baron wrote:

For fun just now, I visited their site and downloaded their 'getting started' flyer.
It was like a HF lathe. Most the parts appeared to be there, but it was useless as shipped. :)
--Winston