Aluminum Coating

I do a little firearms tinkering, and I am currently in the process of building a 1911-22 with an aluminum frame.

I'd like to coat/protect/colorize the frame of the pistol, but I'm at a loss as to which way I want to go. I'd use aluminum black, but the only implementation I've seen was pretty ugly.

Currently my thoughts are Cerakote and color anodizing, but that involves a bit of a setup which adds up. A lot of expense for just one part. With anodizing its the stove, chemicals, power supply. No one thing is particularly expensive, but it adds up. With Cerakot the coatings are relatively expensive there are basically just two things... and a sandblast cabinet which is one thing I don't have and have never really had a need for.

Sending it out isn't really an option as I want to coat/protect it after its finished. Since I am not an 01 FFL and the frame will not have been manufactured more than 50 years ago I can not easily ship to a commercial anodizer.

I guess I would more likely have future use for a blast cabinet than relatively short term future use for an anodizing setup I have to ask... How tough is Cerakote? If its not at least as tough as a good heavy anodized coating that's probably the deciding factor. Regular anodizing. I don't know anything about hard anodizing, and those who do are relatively closed lipped about it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe