Ammonia type refrigerator

Does anyone out there have any info on diagnosing and repairing an RV, Ammonia type refrigerator? I have one that obviously has a small leak, (it stopped cooling and you can smell ammonia), and would like to see if I can repair it and recharge it. Maybe some links or something?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mastic

Ammonia is quite corrosive, so once it has started leaking, there may be many more pinholes forming. As I understand it, there must also be Hydrogen in the system. When it develops a leak, the Hydrogen is going to escape very quickly through even the smallest hole.

These things are called Arkla coolers, or Ammonia absorption chillers. That may give you some help in looking up info on it. note that Hydrogen and Ammonia are both flammable and can be explosive. Also, with all that still in the system, you can't just apply a torch to the tubes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

used to have a good tech section on ammonia refers. I think they sold rebuilt cooling units that you could swap in. Most likely what you have is junk and it is time to move on. Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

This is rather specialized stuff that I wouldn't try doing myself, since they run on vacuum, ammonia, water and hydrogen in carefully balanced quantities...

But there's good news - there are repair shops that specialize in repairing and recharging RV absorption cooling systems. (I've seen them sitting all boxed up at a local shop that went under a few years back.) Remove the entire chiller as one big block from the back of the refrigerator (not exactly easy, but DIY doable) and take it in, and they swap it out with a rebuilt and recharged one. Ask at your local RV Repair shops or try Googling for them.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Possible, but not easy, by all I understand. The ammonia is also supposed to be accompanied by hydrogen. If you've got a leak that lets you smell ammonia, bet on your hydrogen being *LONG* gone.

I don't even want to ponder the logistical nightmare of trying to pump hydrogen into the system and somehow re-seal it...

Reply to
Don Bruder

Indeed. What I would suggest, is finding an RV dealer who junks out trailers and motorhomes, and buy a good used reefer.

They are quite popular for the survivalist and bus converter crowds, as the newer ones run from 12vt dc/110/propane and can be had for very little money. A buddy just recently purchased one from an 30+ foot Airstream that had been rearended by an 18 wheeler. Its a huge reefer for an RV...12 cubic foot I think. He paid $125 for it. I got the 6000 watt inverter/charger for $35.. Unfortunatly the batteries (8) had busted out of their trays...sigh.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Simple fix: Remove the 3 mounting bolts, slide the unit out and THROW-IT-AWAY!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

My locale RV company repairs and recharges these units, but it is not a home project due to the equipment and supplies required. The following address supplies one of the best descriptions of operation that I have seen.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Hayes