And ground a chip breaker on the MoMax tool

To my newly ground MoMax flycutter bit, I added a chipbreaker groove. It does work, but the air die grinder was a bit awkward to use, and the groove wasn't quite right. Not deep enough, and the groove encroached upon the edge in one place. Practice makes perfect.

Harold V - I read your very informative article on chipbreakers, which spoke of some photos. What happened to these photos?

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Unless you're a registered reader, you don't see them. If you prefer not to register on the Chaski board, I can send them to you if you wish.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

So, why did you grind a chipbreaker on a flycutting bit?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I did register, but still didn't see them. Tried again, just now, now that I know that they are there. It turns out that the board is very sensitive to sequence. One has to be logged in before opening the thread; after doesn't work, and gives no direct indication that anything is missing.

It would be useful if the inability to see photos was listed in the little box where one's ability to use various features is listed.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

To prevent generation of large chips, ones that resemble the compression spring from a small ball-point pen.

And for the education.

The chipbreaker did succeed at this, but needs some work.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

It can improve machining characteristics considerably, depending on application. Doesn't matter that it's for a fly cutter, lathe or shaper. A good balance of relief and rake angle are generally desired to avoid hogging.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I thank you for your comment. It has been forwarded to the powers that manage the board. Any suggestions that can be offered done to improve its operation are always welcome.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Heh! For clarity, the word "done" was removed. How do I do such things? :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos