And you thought $200 hammers were high!!!

One caveat, though. The insurance company will usually report the settlement to the DMV. Then the DMV sends a letter demanding the title. If you want to repair and re-title the vehicle, the title will be marked as a rebuild.

YMMV by state.

Rich S.

Reply to
Rich S.

Technically it is not totaled but to repair it completely would have been almost $5K. The book value of the truck was $4500 and that was the first offer but they would take the truck. As car payments did not fit into the boat building buget I got him to reduce the settlement to $4000 and not total it. I fixed it well enough for my purposes for $295 and a visit to the junk (excuse me, recycling) yard.

Besides, I spend most of my time > Larry Jaques wrote: You lucked out. They usually demand salvage rights when

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

"Ed Huntress"

and this might be worse...A bum shuffles up to a guy in the street and asks if he can spare 50 bucks for a cup of coffee. " Get out. A cup of coffee doesn't cost 50 bucks ! " the guy replies. " Yeah, says the bum, But I like to give big tips ".

( Yuk Yuk )

Dean.

Reply to
Dean

We operate Cessna airplanes. They are famous for unpredictable pricing. I ordered six baggage tiedown fittings: a small hinge-like device made of maybe 16 Ga steel, with a 1/4" hole for a bolt in one side and a rectangular slot in the other for the tiedown clip. Looks like maybe $5 or so. Invoice I got said $167 EACH. I nearly died. They're going back for sure. I'm sure I can find something else just as good and still legal...

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:13:30 +0800, "Dean" brought forth from the murky depths:

-snip-

-snip-

You two asked for it:

-clip here and print-

---------------------------------- | W I L L W O R K F O R F O O D | | F R A N C H I S E S | | | | STILL AVAILABLE!!!!!! | ----------------------------------

YES! Make BIG $$$ (Tax FREE!!!)

With Your Very Own

"WILL WORK FOR FOOD" Franchise

We Supply:

  • The Cardboard Sign
  • The Prime Location
  • The Thrift Clothing
  • A Special 90-minute Instructional Tape Entitlted "How To Look Homeless"

Say Goodbye to that Dead-End Job.

Call Today! Operators are standing by.

CALL 1-800-RIP-U-OFF

Now, until the end of the month, as a bonus, we will include a wooden crutch, just in case some jerk actually asks you to do some work.

We Consider AOL/WebTV Members PRE TRAINED so act NOW and get an additional 5% OFF!!!

-clip here-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Coming from a corporate world that sold spare parts from supplies, backplanes boards, diodes, even resistors. Some customers never think when ordering.

The issue I ran into once being called to lead from Field Engineering into Marketing product development - markup. Minimum value...

e.g. buy one resistor for 2.00 or buy 100 of them at the same price. Likely the min part number price was $x.xx + (1.5)*cost ..... in other words, under certain conditions the adders are most of the cost. As the cost rose, the adders drop. But the margin is always high.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn