Angle Grinders

My trusted (so to speak) Black & Decker 4 1/2" angle grinder needs replacing and a local tool store that carries most of the major brands had a 6 amp. Milwaukee on sale for $99.00 and a 12 amp. version for $140.00 and change, however the salesman says that the Myoto (not sure of the spelling) on sale for $99.00 is a much better machine. Any opinions? Mike.

Reply to
MikeM

MikeM wrote in article ...

I've got the 12 amp. Milwaukee that I bought used and have used it_hard_for

21 yrs. now. Not a bit of trouble. I recommend it highly.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Never heard of Myoto. If it's actually Metabo then it may well be a better grinder. There's also a brand called something like Nikota which seems to be cheap Chinese junk. I have a Milwaukee grinder which I'm quite satisfied with.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

Someone I know is a foreman in a shop where they have a two week training course to teach new employees how to use angle grinders! They use angle grinders a lot in their shop, and take angle grinders very seriously.

He says that Metabo is the best, but it costs a lot more. I know someone else who recommends them as well. In my limited experience, I prefer the Bosch, light and smooth, but my buddy says it is just an average grinder. The Dewalt and the Harbor Freight grinders that I have vibrate, and I do not recommend them.

Richard

MikeM wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

our milwaukee has served us well.

get the rubber backing plate, and it makes a kickass disc sander, too

Reply to
Jon Grimm

The company I work for does a lot of hand grinding of heavy stamping dies. Their pneumatic disc grinders are worth about $1K each. Made in Switzerland, IIRC.

Metabo is expensive, but it's not completely out of line with the good Milwaukee and Makita models.

Metabo machines have less vibration and you can get them with safety clutches such that if you jam the wheel, the grinder won't try and take you for a ride.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

go to harbor freight and for $99 you can get about 4 to 5 of them and when one goes out you can use the other and it will last for the next few years or so...

Reply to
jim

I fully agree! While I like my Ryobi, I also have 5 HF grinders that cost about $ 14 each, on sale. Different discs and wire wheels on all six. Nice way to go. Can't teel the difference except for the noise. I wear ear protection.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary