Annealing Copper dead soft

I have to reuse a copper head gasket and I'd
like to anneal it dead-soft first. What's the
best way?
Reply to
Jim Stewart
Heat it until smoking hot (not a terribly precise measure) and plunge into water. It will stay fully annealed for a couple of days.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
The plunging in water part is not needed. Heating to red hot is however. And it will stay annealed until it is work hardened again.
Lane
Reply to
Lane
Those are the exact instructions from a '56 Triumph motorcycle manual in reference to their copper head gaskets. Heat to red hot and air cool to anneal them. I did it that way and didn't have any gasket leaks with higher than stock compression pistons.
Garrett Fulton
Reply to
Garrett Fulton
Yeah, but plunging into water makes it shed all those dirty oxides & it comes out bright & clean--if it's a straight-8 gasket, it's perty difficult to heat & quench all at once!

Reply to
jerry Wass
Thanks for the info. It's for a '64 Honda S90 that I'll be restoring. First step is to get it running and take it to DMV to get the salvage title process going.
Reply to
Jim Stewart
NOS (new old stock) or third party replacements are unavailable I assume.
Reply to
The Masked Marvel