Anniversary of an amazingly enduring design

Of course that configuration isn't a tack driver but then the M1911 was designed for close in use. Longer distances, use a rife.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Let the Record show that Don Foreman on or about Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:10:22 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

That's what my brother whined about, as one of the signs of advancing old age: the 45 was heavy, and he was considering going to a

9mm... or spend more time working out.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

If you can catch teabaggers in the act, you should also bring a friend with a digicam to catch the facial expressions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sure. I don't know how they do it now, but the rails of mine were peened; it had a bullseye trigger job; and so on. This wears out eventually and they get loose again. I've put a lot of rounds through mine.

One of the gun magazines reported at the time that the SSM was the most accurate revolver, out-of-the-box, that they had ever tested. It can shoot a lot straighter than I can.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

As soon as you accurize them, like peen the frame rails to tighten up the slide and such, I doubt it would pass military acceptance tests.

If I want an accurate handgun I pick my revolvers or my T/C Contender depending on use.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Absolutely, although I've never had any problem keeping the holes within the center section of a silhouette (sp?) or a "Q" target at 75 yards.

With a GI .45 I'm more interested in the first 20-30 feet rather than yards.

Reply to
RAM³

Here's one typical teabagger, one of the more mature among them. Look at that smug little mug, will ya':

"Vulgar Fat Child Attends Teabagging Rally"

Ed Huntress

My S&W 5906 9mm is 43oz loaded with the stock high cap mag, slightly more with the higher cap. If you want lighter you go plastic frame regardless of your caliber of choice. My S&W Sigma 9mm is about 12oz lighter and otherwise the same specs.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:45:42 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus11443 scrawled the following:

There's a nice one (probably wire-wheeled) on eBay for only $329 right now, Ig. Another for $269 + $30 s/h.

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

With hardball ammunition?

John B.

Reply to
John

Richard sez:

"Neither did NASA when we went to the moon."

Just goes to show there's a lot of truth in the old saw, "Technology without mathematics would only be two weeks behind"

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Personally, I prefer a shotgun with 00 buck for the shorter ranges if there's to be a crowd.

The old Ithaca 37 definitely has its advantages, especially with the extended mag tube...

Reply to
Eregon

I shoot my .45 with hardball, and with semi-wadcutters and light loads. I don't feel anything qualitatively different with the hardball.

I always thought it was me. I'm fairly light; I may just roll with it better than some. My 3-1/2" magnum shotgun leaves me black and blue, and hurting, but I can shoot a .44 magnum handgun with full loads and not suffer from it a bit. It's kind of odd.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I wonder how much sooner we would have got there if the engineers had a scientific calculator instead of those books of logarithms?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You mean like - now???

I'm almost ready to believe that it was a one-time thing.

Will we EVER go back?

Reply to
cavelamb

Even the California Highway patrol got smart and got away from 00 buck. Is actually a bad load for the shell. Go with #1 and get a lot more balls in the case. The 0.30 pack much better than 0.33 balls. And the energy difference is negligible.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Yah, but it is hard to carry a shotgun in your pants pocket. If I had time to plan, I'd plan to avoid the situation.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Ithaca made a double barrel that was concealable. 1920's mostly for the mob I think. Was the Auto and Burglar gun. 20ga 10" barrels 14.5" overall.

Bill McKee

I don't doubt it is very accurate. A solid chunk of metal that keeps your hand steady and a round with enough power for many things that isn't a burden to cope with.

Every shooter should have a few reference guns. If you can't shoot well with an intrinsicly accurate rifle or pistol, then the firearm you are playing with may not be at fault if you get lousy results.

If I'm playing with a hard recoiling firearm, I like to check myself out shooting an accurate .22 pistol or rifle depending on what I'm playing with. If I can't shoot the ez gun well, I have no business wasting time and money on the hard gun.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I hope we don't abandon space. I must have Shatner in my head but it is the 'Final Frontier' and most of us in the US are decended from explorers. It is in our genetics.

Wes

Reply to
Wes