Anniversary of an amazingly enduring design

Nope. If keeps one face toward us (more or less). We never see the other side of the moon. But the Sun does - about 1/2 of the time.

From Wiki

Libration Animation of the Moon as it cycles through its phases. The apparent wobbling of the Moon is known as libration.

The Moon is in synchronous rotation, meaning that it keeps the same face turned toward the Earth at all times. This synchronous rotation is only true on average because the Moon's orbit has a definite eccentricity. As a result, the angular velocity of the Moon varies as it moves around the Earth, and is hence not always equal to the Moon's rotational velocity. When the Moon is at its perigee, its rotation is slower than its orbital motion, and this allows us to see up to eight degrees of longitude of its eastern (right) far side. Conversely, when the Moon reaches its apogee, its rotation is faster than its orbital motion and this reveals eight degrees of longitude of its western (left) far side. This is referred to as longitudinal libration.

Because the lunar orbit is also inclined to the Earth's ecliptic plane by 5.1°, the rotation axis of the Moon seems to rotate towards and away from us during one complete orbit. This is referred to as latitudinal libration, which allows one to see almost 7° of latitude beyond the pole on the far side. Finally, because the Moon is only about 60 Earth radii away from the Earth's center of mass, an observer at the equator who observes the Moon throughout the night moves laterally by one Earth diameter. This gives rise to a diurnal libration, which allows one to view an additional one degree's worth of lunar longitude. For the same reason, observers at both geographical poles of the Earth would be able to see one additional degree's worth of libration in latitude.

Reply to
cavelamb

cavelamb wrote in news:LIqdnclTsZ7NvCzWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Some code that I wrote in the '60s is still in production.

As an old "bit banger", myself, I learned early on to appreciate the use of assemblers/compilers as, quite simply, a faster way to handle a lot of the "housekeeping".

One nice feature of several companies' compilers was the ability to start out with an "envelope" using one language, shift into another one, pop back into the "envelope" and, then, shift into yet another one before going back to the original *all while doing in-line code*. These "hybrids" enabled functionality that, otherwise, would have proven exceptionally difficult if not impossible. [Yah, I wound up doing a lot of "unique" code over the years. ]

Reply to
RAM³

I presume that the perp may have body armor. 9mm or .45 aint' going to make any difference if a CoM shot hits BA. I aim a little higher to ensure the desired effect BA or no.

The Rangers are NATO.

Reply to
Pete C.

The perp always has the element of surprise. Getting that first shot off is the key part, regardless of what caliber you choose.

Have to presume they have BA. 9mm or .45 won't do diddly if it hits BA.

Reply to
Pete C.

It's unlikely that more than a handful of tea people even know who Janeane Garofalo is, Wes. She doesn't play in the kinds of venues you're expect them to attend. And there's no way she would use a term as a homophobic slur, and expect it to be taken as a put-down. That just isn't her.

As I said to Chris, this is a pejorative the teabaggers created for themselves. They had no trouble with the term until they found out that it has a sexual application.

For example, this woman, who is one of my favorite teabaggers :

Ed Huntress

Please tell me you're joking. Just in case you're not, the moon is tidally locked, which means one side always faces the earth. We refer to the side away from the earth as the "dark side" of the moon (cue Pink Floyd), but it isn't actually always dark.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I'll defer to you about what NASA was doing. FORTRAN was definitely being used in universities in the early 60's, and at Honeywell Aerospace in the mid-60's. My intro, about 1967, was total immersion. My boss gave me an assignment that required writing a program to reduce some gyro test data. I told him I didn't know diddly squat about computers, I was not the guy for this assignment. I was quite happy with my slipstick. (Post Versalog, still have it) He said, "it's your assignment, we need it by end of day Friday." That was on Wednesday. I'll bet this guy was one hell of a swimming instructor. I found a book: McCracken, Daniel D. (1966), A Guide to Fortran IV Programming (1 ed.). Someone introduced me to a timeshare terminal (ASR-33 teletype) and showed me how to log on. I hurt my head for two days with not much sleep, got 'er done. The gyro data got reduced correctly and the project got caught up shortly thereafter because they could analyze a test run in minutes instead of hours.

I was intimidated by computers before that, but not afterwards. I'd been using FORTRAN for a while before I got my first engineering calculator, a used HP-35 for $150 when a decent house in a good neighborhood could be bought for $30K.

Reply to
Don Foreman

One thing with a head shot, usually ONE is enough to stop the perp...

Now if your carry piece is a .454 Casull or a .500 S&W or other hand cannon, Well lets just say a head shot is REALLY messy.... COM may be a bit better for the ME to clean up.

Reply to
Steve W.

Then use a M72. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That can't be said of the .40 or .45 either. The probability of a one-shot stop is higher with the more powerful rounds, but it's far from a certainty. Shot placement is far more important than caliber or power. A .22 rimfire hollowpoint is a one-shot drop if the shot is perfectly placed. Ask any assassin. My dad was killed with one shot from a .22 rimfire.

A shotgun with #4 buck gets 'er done because of the high probability of one of the coupla dozen little 24-caliber (6 mm) balls hitting something that will result in instant incapacitation. 6mm is smaler than 9mm. Bigger ammo does more damage per wound channel but instant drop requires that damage be done to very specific locations. Handgun ammo, unlike much higher velocity smaller caliber 5.62 mm (.223 caliber) rifle ammo, does not deliver sufficent hydrostatic shock to matter, so a stop/drop hit must impact spine, brain, heart, or other organ that will result in instant shock, or pelvis that can result in incapacitating pain but that's iffy with drug-crazed assailants who feel no pain.

Hitting such key small locations, short of head shots, is well beyond the marksmanship capability of most shooters, perhaps all shooters in a stress sit. I can repeatedly hit the face of an assailant at 7 yards but there's no way I'd bet I could hit his spine when we're both moving, in dark or low light, stoked with adrenaline.

Ability to accurately place several shots very rapidly is much more likely to drop an assailant than having a bigger gun. I did say accurately, but I'm not talking bullseye here but several rounds to COM and a couple to head at short range. Self defense is a dynamic, adrenaline-charged scared-shitless short-range activity, not a military activity done by young men in a high state of training. I assert that the best tactic is to use a weapon/caliber that the individual, young or old, male or female, big or small, strong or weak, liberal or conservative, can best deliver most fire with workable accuracy in a very few seconds of time. That's why nobody disputes the effectiveness of a shotgun or a full auto rifle.

Most occasional shooters can deliver accurate rapid fire much better with a

9mm than they can with a .40 or .45, and the nines hold more ammo.

A .380 is a one-shot drop if shot placement is right. A .380 with 7 rounds fired rapidly enough to hit at point blank range has far higher probability of stop than one hit from a .45ACP. The objective is to stop, no bonus for doing it in one shot. Get it done with as many shots as it takes, accurately delivered to drop the assailant.

That's why I assert that the .380 one might carry is far more defense than a .45 one leaves at home. It's a moot point for those who routinely carry a .45 and can shoot it well. I do shoot a .45 respectably but I don't care to pack one though I do have a holster for my Colt Officer's and my instructor in the CQB (close quarters battle) training I did with that pistol thought I shot it respectably. I don't even pack a .380 most days.

We've had this joust before, Gunner. Not saying you're wrong , just sayin' that the solution you find right for you may not be right for others.

Reply to
Don Foreman

You know what a double entendre is.

I've seen more of her than I'd really like. One of the risks of having your dvr record the daily show and colbert and stay on channel.

The TV is on at night to help mask the tinnitus.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I just focus on what will have the highest probability of the desired effect.

Winchester.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:03:34 -0500, the infamous "Pete C." scrawled the following:

But are they UN approved?

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 01:40:41 -0400, the infamous "Steve W." scrawled the following:

One stop is good enough for me.

Kinda "pink misty", like a Barrett .50 BMG round, huh?

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:59:48 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Good!

Much better news!

You answered it handily with your post full of links to Pete yesterday. I was looking for stopping power by caliber charts. Interestingly enough, some of the one-stop stats for the Golden Sabers are low. 9mm CorBon +P = 91%, 9mm Rem Golden Saber +P = 83%.

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Probably. You can check on the Winchester site.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:18:27 -0500, the infamous "Don Foreman" scrawled the following:

I believe it was the FBI report Gunner linked to yesterday which said that more people are killed by .22 rimfires than any other bullet. (Sorry to hear that about your dad, Don.)

Size (caliber) apparently doesn't matter in many cases.

In the authors? ongoing study of violence against law enforcement officers, they have examined several cases where officers used large-caliber hand guns with limited effect displayed by the offenders. In one case, the subject attacked the officer with a knife. The officer shot the individual four times in the chest; then, his weapon malfunctioned. The offender continued to walk toward the officer. After the officer cleared his weapon, he fired again and struck the subject in the chest. Only then did the offender drop the knife. This individual was hit five times with 230-grain, .45-caliber hollow-point ammunition and never fell to the ground. The offender later stated, ?The wounds felt like bee stings.?

In another case, officers fired six .40-caliber, hollow-point rounds at a subject who pointed a gun at them. Each of the six rounds hit the individual with no visible effect. The seventh round severed his spinal cord, and the offender fell to the ground, dropping his weapon. This entire firefight was captured by several officers? in-car video cameras.

In a final case, the subject shot the victim officer in the chest with a handgun and fled. The officer, wearing a bullet-resistant vest, returned gunfire. The officer?s partner observed the incident and also fired at the offender. Subsequent investigation determined that the individual was hit 13 times and, yet, ran several blocks to a gang member?s house. He later said, ?I was so scared by all those shots; it sounded like the Fourth of July.? Again, according to the subject, his wounds ?only started to hurt when I woke up in the hospital.? The officers had used 9-millimeter, department-issued ammunition. The surviving officers re ported that they felt vulnerable.

--snip--

Face is good. I would think that even if you didn't kill them, perps with their faces blown off would tend to be a bit more docile, if not unconscious from the blow to the skull.

Liberal with a gun? Shirley, ewe jest! That's as rare as a Republican with an Obama bumper sticker on their car. (Hi, Ed!)

Exactly.

That's, um, a given.

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A Co2 conversion? Never heard of such a thing, love to have one.

Details?

Reply to
RBnDFW

And then there was the lawyer at the AA meeting recently that stoppedan attach with two shots ....from a Keltec P32 (.32ACP) Neither hit was COM IIRC. The BG vacated the premises promptly, died outside.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Sold by Crossman in the '70s. Made by Blazer and imported. It's a pretty rare item today. That and my original ACE .22 conversion are probably worth much more than the gun itself.

It's accurate and good for target shooting, but not real quiet. Basically, it's just a .117 cal. CO2 pistol that looks like a 1911 slide. You remove the .45 slide and the pellet gun conversion screws on with a single thumb screw. You load one pellet at a time. No part of the slide moves when you shoot, unlike the ACE conversion, which is some kind of modified blowback, I think.

You could inquire with Crossman; maybe they know if it's still available from Blazer.

Reply to
Ed Huntress