Another economic nosedive

============ This just in on Bloomberg

?There was massively too much leverage within the financial system,? Breeden said at a Bloomberg Link Boards & Risk Conference in Washington yesterday. ?Regulators had the authority to control that and eliminate it. We can keep passing laws, but if the regulators don?t have the backbone to enforce the rules and to be realistic, then that?s a different problem.?

It appears old fashioned lynching remains the only solution.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Hmmm. I thought that regulators had no authority to mandate reserve levels for the non-bank banks?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It's just my opinion Ed, and I don't think our regulatory structure could have "prevented" anything by edict, but had enforcement been vigorous we'd have at least seen less egregious behavior - or it would have been hidden better. Traffic stops have been known to prevent bank robberies you know. Not often, mind you, but having highly visible enforcement leads to less crime of all types.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

The problem was that rather than passing laws, our vaunted legistlators were repealing what we had and adding new ones that gauranteed opacity to a degree not seen in decades. It's literally true that had derivative products been traded on a public market, nobody would have bought the ones that were troublesome.

In the first instance of a publicly traded synthetic, the opening was at .977 and the price immediately fell to .49. At fourty nine cents on the dollar the market determined the value of these things far better than Goldman did by fiat.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Listening to Rush Limbaugh, yesterday. He says that with the tax changes going from 2010 to 2011, we're nearly guaranteed an economic down turn, severely so, for 2011.

The LDS church has been reccomending people get out of debt, and store food and other supplies at home. This is sounding more and more wise.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For many activities of modern U.S. government.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

Conspiring with the enemy?

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

This appears to be good advice at any time. The closer you live to the edge, the more likely that you are to go over the edge.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I have my toes crossed , my legs crossed, my fingers crossed and my eyes crossed, good luck, good luck, good luck. I like original ideas.

Reply to
Ala

What are you doing with all the energy stirred up in you by all those clubbings?

Such coverage has been replaced by oil clad animals these days.

I need to get away from it, all that people are talking about.

So I will be passing through NOVA in a couple of weeks. Then I'm doing a roadtrip to Maine. I want to sit in an inner tube on the river & soak in the sun & honeysuckle!!! but all the water reminds me of what is happening due south of here so northerly vacations are a better escape I guess.

Reply to
Ala

will you break martial bad on the muthas? I know G will because he is planning the grand cull

Sheep? Not you!

Reply to
Ala

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:52:01 -0400, "Ala" wrote:

Planning? Moi? Hardly. No more than a reporter plans the events to which he/she reports on.

Im an Observer. Hardly a planner or even a participant in the upcoming events.

Ever hear of a guy named Thomas Jefferson?

......Wonderful is the effect of impudent & persevering lying. The British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the ministers themselves have come to believe them, & what is more wonderful, we have believed them ourselves. Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusetts? And can history produce an instance of rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it's motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had 13. states independent 11. years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each state. What country before ever existed a century & a half without a rebellion? & what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. .......

Change the term British to Leftwinger...shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

========== BANZI - BANZI - BANZI KAMIKAZIE ALERT!!!!

for sound effect ...

Update on situation in California 01 July 2010. Be sure to scan the comments.

orders minimum wage for state workers Share By Jon Ortiz snipped-for-privacy@sacbee.com Published: Thursday, Jul. 1, 2010 - 4:37 pm Last Modified: Thursday, Jul. 1, 2010 - 5:01 pm

The Schwarzenegger administration today ordered State Controller John Chiang to reduce state worker pay for July to the federal minimum allowed by law -- $7.25 an hour for most state workers.

Read more:

Hard to believe this guy is a Republican and not an Al Qaeda agent...

Reply to
F. George McDuffee