OT What do you think about this electric Trikke/scooter?

(crossposted, please feel free to trim the other group)
I love this stuff (personal electric transportation), and this one
looks fantastic.
http://www.trikke.com/Trikke-Showroom/NEW-Pone/Tribred-Pon-e-White-Clear-Coat
It costs $2500 (US). Weighs 44 pounds.
Stuff I would make differently...
... aluminum frame instead of steel to reduce the weight
... Delrin ramps in front of the rear wheels, probably just over half way down on the wheel so the rear wheels will not bind on a high obstacle... because the frame might not be low enough and it should be protected anyway
... probably a narrower stance, I would not use the bike for carving
The trike stance is plenty wide to provide balance. The flexible foot stems allow individual suspension (aided by your legs). The front wheel is big (10 inches) but could be much larger to help go over higher obstacles.
What about the "brushless geared hub motor" motor? Does that sound good? Does it at least sound familiar? Any offhand information (or references) about that type of wheel drive would be appreciated. I will do some research.
Thanks.
http://www.currietech.com/currie-technologies-izip-via-urbano-electric-bike.php
Currie Technologies are powering their electric bicycles that way. "Exclusive Geared Brushless DC Hub Motor" But apparently that device is not exclusive.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2128164272361983242 # Hub motor, cool video demonstration.
John Doe wrote:

I wonder why people making a vid. like that never seem to use a tripod? The swaying around of the camera makes me about sea-sick. I have to stop it and wouldn't go back. :-( ...lew...

I tend to agree, and that is what I thought at first too. But it stops being annoying by the time you get to the good part.

Hub motors for the do-it-yourselfer: http://www.electricrider.com/crystalyte/index.htm
$2500 in gas will take my CRV 25,000 miles.
Lithium batteries may not last more than three years, and can be damaged if left in a hot vehicle. YMMV of course.
Ask the stores where you shop if they would allow it inside, and the police whether the laws for bicycles or pedestrians apply to it. They are substantially different, and complicated by the introduction of power wheelchairs and the Segway.
jsw

Since half my 20 minute commute is at 75-80mph, no thanks.

...and they're not going to be cool supplying that kind of power.

One of the profs in college built an electric bicycle. All was well until he tried to register it. He couldn't since it wasn't a motorcycle but couldn't operate it unlicensed since it was powered. Since he asked the question, he couldn't play dumb. Catch-22.

They seem to warm up more from charging than discharging. Since a computer was logging the data I didn't look at it too hard, but I don't remember ever tripping the overtemp limit during a discharge test. The trash barrel of water that cooled the electronic load got quite hot though.

In some places they are mopeds.
jsw

At the same charge/discharge rates, I bet you'll find that there is little difference.

"krw att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <krw att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

Baloney. Lithium-ion batteries are the best current battery technology, with an extremely wide and fast growing user base. They are already very popular for power tools, the idea they are not rugged and heat resistant is just silly. Anyone even remotely interested in electronics should know at least that much.
--

>>Ask the stores where you shop if they would allow it inside, and the

Irrelevant.
If you have something worthy of saying then spit it out.
"krw att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <krw att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

And vice versa...
--

What a fool. At least I was being on thread. You can't even meet that modest threshold.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/lithium_failures.htm
They are so sensitive to mistreatment that they require built-in monitoring and control chips, which also insulate the user from realizing how delicate they are.
I've analyzed field return lithium batteries that logged their voltage, charge and discharge currents and temperature, with time stamps. It was quite obvious when a damaged battery had been left out all day in Phoenix or overnight in Minneapolis, for example. The user might not realize the change unless they had special equipment to measure the drop in amp-hour capacity but it showed up immediately in the log. The charged voltage stayed constant.
Those green zone boundaries are very real and I've seen cells die when they crossed over each of them.
jsw
Jim Wilkins <kb1dal gmail.com> wrote:
<that moron screwed up the author introductions>

Nobody gives a fuck how delicate a device is when engineering takes care of it. Every modern device, including power tools, uses lithium-ion batteries, dumbfuck, open your eyes.
Political crap belongs in politics groups. Clearly some of you were not properly potty trained by your parents.
This is kind of funny... On the one hand, you have right wing zealots flailing against electric transportation, and here you have a (probable) left wing nut flailing against the best battery technology available.
Oh well.
--

> I've analyzed field return lithium batteries that logged their

Not for $2500 it doesn't. It looks like yet another Barnum and Bailey rip off, sucker.
Abbey Somebody <abnormal castlefrankenstein.org> wrote:

Your Mongoloid parents should have aborted you.
--

Your mother should be jailed as a felon for the heinous crime of not flushing the retarded piece of shit that you are, the moment she shat you out of the retarded piece of shit that she is.
As far as your father goes, your mother was a street corner loiterer, so his taste was in the gutter when he started out, as was his character. And since you came from her descending colon, the only factor he plays in it are the diseases he introduced into her ass before you descended.
Looks like you are pretty much a pathetic loser, spawned from pathetic losers, you pathetic piece of shit.
It is just my opinion, asshole, don't take it personally.
Abbey Somebody <abnormal castlefrankenstein.org> wrote:

<ldvk06ppj1dd472itppoaqvn34vruqnhm1 4ax.com> <4c0aa2fb$0$6428$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com>

Gunner Asch wrote:

He gets quite boring after a while. Most people kill file him by his IP address so you only have to update it if Cox moves him to a new block of IP addresses. He whines like a six year old girl and cusses like a dyslexic sailor. He is in the San Diego area, if you get 'really' bored and want to meet him. :)
He belongs in the new "Don't you believe it' wing of the famous Ripley's museum.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.