Any suggestions on new lathe purchase

I am thinking of purchasing a new lathe. I can spend up to 5500. I would like something in the 14"x 40" or 16"x40" range. I have seen, over the internet, birmingham, gmc, jet that fit my requirements, but I thought it would be best if I asked.

Reply to
mact

If you are interested in a Jet I can offer you a very nice price w/ free shipping. I can assure you the Jet warantee and tech support way outshine the other importers. Leigh at MarMachine.

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

Mact

I bought a Birmingham about 18 months ago. 13X40. I had to send the 3 jaw back twice but all else has been well. "billstoolcrib.com" handled everything with no complaints.

It was covered in cosmoline or the like and it took some effort to remove all this.

Write if you would like.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

I strongly recommend Leigh as a dealer. And I believe he can beat most prices.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

What about a victor 14x40 or acer? Both look good the victor is about

5300 and the acer is over 6000. Any opinions. Michael
Reply to
mact

I can forget the victor. The salesman told me it was made in china and not a good guality machine. I have used victors before and they seemed good, but I'll take his word. Are jets made in taiwan? Are they any good? I was a machinist for a few years and then my dad wanted me to help him with his crane business and I have to admit there is more money running a crane in a day then there is in a week as a machinist. michael

Reply to
mact