Arduino and Windows Update

Hi,
I know there are several people here that work with Arduino microcontrollers. Just a heads up to a potential headache.
==Windows Update drivers bricking USB serial chips beloved of hardware hackers The move to combat counterfeit chips leaves hobbyists stuck in the middle.
by Peter Bright - Oct 23, 2014 12:40 am UTC
Hardware hackers building interactive gadgets based on the Arduino microcontrollers are finding that a recent driver update that Microsoft deployed over Windows Update has bricked some of their hardware, leaving it inaccessible to most software both on Windows and Linux. This came to us via hardware hacking site Hack A Day... =See:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/windows-update-drivers-bricking-usb-serial-chips-beloved-of-hardware-hackers/
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

You can check the VID (Vendor ID) in Device Properties in the Device Manager. For an FTDI chip or copy it's 0403.
-jsw