Atlas Lathe

Gunner Asch wrote:

Early in '71 for me too . The draft was breathing it's last dying gasps , and I didn't wanna sleep in the first clean mudhole I came across . Three hots and a cot ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:

If it weren't for bad luck? ;-)

I witnessed the reenlistment of several second-tour GIs who wanted badly to get out of Germany and back to Nam.
If I understood them right, in the US and Germany they were Hispanic but in Vietnam they became Rich White Americans.
Most people left the Kaserne only to go drinking in English-speaking bars. It wasn't generally considered a good assignment, even in the university party town of Heidelberg (where I spent every off-duty minute).
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

My first assignment was Ft. Rucker, Alabama. I'll bet you can guess its nickname! I was offered a civil service job there, but learned that it was second only Washington DC for transfer requests to leave. The other problem with the offer was that I would be working with a real carpetbagger. I told my civilian section chief that I appreciated the offer, but another couple months there and I would have to 'kill the carpetbagger'. He turned red and said, I understand. I wish I could get rid of him, but he's brown nosed too many important people to fire him.
My other assignment was Ft. Greely where the official low temperature record was -69F. The unofficial temperature was -79F at one of the sites off main base were equipment was cold weather tested.

I gave $100 fr an old 10" Atlas a few years ago. I parted out probably $200 or more, then sold the remainder for $100 ;)
wish I'd kept it to use for a welding lathe.
I have an Atlas 10 by 36 lathe and have bought many parts and accessories for it on EBay, including a full set of gears. It is a good lathe. I paid $600 for the basic lathe. Now I have about everything for it. It sure comes in hancy for me.
As someone else said, for thje price, GRAB IT!
PopPop

A lot may depend on how the gears got damaged. Did it fall off a truck going 60 mph?
If simple cause and effect, my $50 would be smoking coming out of the wallet!
Paul
Paul Drahn wrote:

I was too sick this week toget back to him. He said he may want to buy a rebuilt 225 slant six that's sitting in my garage. If he does, it'll pay for the lathe and the gears, plus some basic tooling.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

He finally told me it is supposed to be 10" * 36".

What lathe do you have now?
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

None.

Then it will be a great advance for you if it works at all.
jsw
I won't sell it or trade - but I have an Atlas lathe book.
I can help on some stuff if you get it.
Martin
On 4/26/2012 8:26 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Thanks. :)

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Yes, A lot better than trying to do things with hand tools, or in a drill press.

    O.K. I think that one could be obtained with a quick-change gearbox for threading, or the basket-of-gears change gears approach. I prefer the former, because it makes it more likely that speeds will be changed as appropriate for turning instead of leaving it at the last thread pitch setting used because of the mess and pain of building the right gear train for each application.
    Which gears are damaged is important. It is easy to replace the change gears on the basket-of-gears type, somewhat more difficult on the quick change, and quite expensive to fix if it happens to be the bull gear and back gear.
    But the price sounds good -- assuming that the ways are not badly worn, even if the Bull gear and back gear are damaged. If it is basket-of-gears, you hope that most of the change gears are still around and included. You may have to haunt eBay to find some replacements.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:41:10 PM UTC-6, Michael Terrell wrote:

Sounds like your basic TH42. PDF docs are all over the place for those. I have everything ever published for an Atlas in PDF format. Just drop me an email and I'll load you up.
Rex wrote:

have everything ever published for an Atlas in PDF format. Just drop me an email and I'll load you up.
Thanks. I got some on Ebay, but I'm still waiting to pick up the lathe. I'll let you know what it is when I finally get it. Your PDFs may be cleaner than what I bought. :)
The owner has it stashed behind a workbench, and it will be a half day's work for him to get it out. Just my luck that he's got too much business at the moment. :(
On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:37:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

have everything ever published for an Atlas in PDF format. Just drop me an email and I'll load you up.

Im sure those of us that like you a lot..can provide some tooling and whatnot <G>
Gunner
One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.
- Jeff Cooper