Auto repair welders?

I am looking hard for a MIG welder that could weld up to 3/8" of steel. I am a complete newbie to welding btw.

There will be a liquidation sale of a car repair outfit where they advertise a welder for sale (as well as more stuff like a big 3 ph compressor etc). I do not know the type of welder.

My question. Is it worth going there or will that welder likely to be suitable only for thin metal welding?

Ignoramus15786

Iggy..any quality 220vt 1ph MIG will do 3/8", but you might be better off with a stick welder for that thickness metal. There is some learning curve once you get over 1/4"

As to the welder in question..it really depends on the brand, and condition of the welder as well as the model of course.

If you can find out the details, Im sure we can give you a thumbs up, or down

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner, what would constitute a quality 1 phase MIG welder? Is that about amps, or duty cycle, or something else?

Thanks... I will be on the road and will need to decide quickly...

Ignoramus3635

Amps, followed by duty cycle, then brand name.

150 amps at 60% duty cycle would suit you pretty well.. Most brand name 150-200 amp welders by

Lincoln

Miller
Esab
Hobart
HTP
DanMig
(made in Denmark..good welder) Airco (out of business but many around)

Hobart is owned by Miller IRRC.

I have used each of these manufacturers MIGs, all are good.

Even the older ones are decent. Miller is supposed to make the best, between Lincoln and Miller, based on what I hear from the pros.

Shrug.

Call me if need be

805-732-5308

Gunner