Awsome sandbox toy

Reply to
Dennis

No one reported them at the time, but they may be what Betty Hill's sister Janet saw. I was elsewhere during the big sighting in Kensington, which sounded to me like a student prank hot air balloon that glowed like a Japanese paper lantern.

jsw

reply: Did you see the guys on The Time Bandit do that on Deadliest Catch? They were about a mile upwind from the Northwestern, and lit off a few dozen of them. Sig thought he was being invaded, as they would not show up on radar, and the Time Bandit had turned off its locator identifier beacon. He was sure nervous for a while there, thinking UFOs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I had one experience with oars. We went to a Utah lake, and a guy from California had left a boat for the summer with the camp host. They said anyone could use it. The lake had beavers, so no motors of any type. I was hesitant, but it was remarkably easy, and we caught lots of fish.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I like the newfangled reverse style which allow you to see the #$%^ where you're going much better than standard oars.

(Read the whole mag. 1943 Pop Sci!)

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

========= No worries, mate!

Let's get together for a few Fosters and we'll hire a couple of good lookin' 'oars for the night!

Reply to
Eric

A canoe and paddles is even better! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

"Gerald Miller" wrote

Let me tell you about my ONE experience with a canoe. I bought a canoe. I had this image of me in a canoe ...... a mix of Mark Twain, Ernest Hemmingway, and Dan'l Boone. I took it to a good sized lake. I left the dock okay, then was taken by the wind to the other shore, quite a distance. Along the way, I did more 360's than an ice skater. It took every ounce of energy I had to get back to the dock at dark thirty.

Never had an urge to get in a canoe since.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That's why we invented sails, Steve.

Paddling is hard work!

Reply to
CaveLamb

"CaveLamb" wrote

We had a house on the point in Seabrook, Texas with a dock to Galveston Bay in the yard. We had two of those AMF little sailboats with the wood centerboard. Open cockpit. Had one HELL of a lot more fun in those than I had in any canoe. One time, I hit a six foot garfish with the centerboard. It was like hitting a log, and he jumped out of the water, splashing me. We could get some decent speed on those. Other people were bringing down Hobies, et al, and it was great living there.

Google 11th avenue, Seabrook, Tx. Just the pilings left to the house, looks like it all went commercial. Had some great times there. Kemah is just across the channel.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Rokon.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Copy all that, Steve.

My Dad had a house at Crystal Beach on Bolivar peninsula. After the storm, there was nothing on the peninsula at all.

I loved taking the ferry home. Sure it took a while but it was a chance to stop and relax on the commute.

Last time I saw Kemah (5 years ago?), it had grown so crowded that I barely recognized it from my childhood beach memories.

We thought about moving back there, but the heat, humidity, and humanity talked us out of it.

Besides, most of Galveston Bay is barely 4 feet deep!

Reply to
CaveLamb

Try taking your sail boat a half mile through the bush to take your twelve year old son fishing in a lake teaming with 2-3 pound big mouth bass. 6 AM to Noon he caught eight of them, some of which I had to practically go on shore to get out of the water. Paddling back to the landing, I had a hell of a time steering the 12 foot canoe until I took the stringer of fish out of the water - those damned fish didn't want to go the direction I wanted to go! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

We also had a Coleman for years. Someone stole it out of the depths of our woods, where it was ~1000' to the Black Creek boundary of our property. It was hidden, but obviously not well enough.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

"CaveLamb" wrote > Copy all that, Steve.

Been all over there. The ferry boat Thornton was named after a friend of mine's grandpa. Owned two bars in Galveston. Had some memorable summers there. The beachhouses in Bolivar, as well as West Beach hold some fond memories, too. Fished all over that area, around the jetties, on the piers, in boats. Floundering in the flats was a hoot. Is that old historic lighthouse still on Bolivar?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Gerald Miller" wrote

Sounds like some of the territory we used to fish in the Atchafalaya Swamp. Right where lots of Swamp People is filmed. Been to Every location they show. But in the interior of the Atchafalaya, we would go through stuff in a little pirogue, or pull a 14' aluminum over levee after levee to get to special lakes where we would catch more fish than we wanted to clean. I miss the food and fishing in Louisiana. My crystal ball tells me I'll be spending some time there soon.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Califbill" wrote

Still use it once in a while up at June

Had an Ocean tandem and dive and fish. Didn't like them because one would get all wet while paddling. Good if weather is warm, not good in cold. But they were very stable, and easy to handle, and light to carry. Wish I had kept them, but am considering buying one you sit inside. Has a bit more cockpit room for tackle box, beer cooler, etc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I doubt it. I heard it was heavily damages and would be torn down. But I've not stayed in touch.

You know there is not a single house left on Bolivar, don't you? The hurricane wiped it clean as a whistle and I heard noone was allowed to rebuild on the peninsula...

Reply to
CaveLamb

"CaveLamb" wrote

I heard that it was because they couldn't get it zoned as a zoo. From the start, like many a seaside retreat, built without much forethought, an accident waiting to happen. Over history, countless little and bigger communities wiped out after being built in places they had no business being built in.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

Gunner Asch on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:16:15 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The French at least had enough smarts to build on top of the only local hill...

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich