Basic question on welding blankets like the one shown here -

I blow glass and am setting up a new shop. I just need a fire proof blanket to throw over the area containing my unused glass so dust and crap dont get on it (could be unused all weekdays).

Has anyone ever had one of these cheaper throw blankets. It does state fiber glass but is the material contained and wont fall apart and get on my hands and glass over time?

I dont expect really hot temperatures to touch it but the torch end could still be warm as would a special glass rod heater which when running is 700 degrees and takes hours to cool to room temperature when turnt off.

Reply to
pauly

I have seen them before. I always thought they weren't cheap (price-wise)! :) They are like thick blankets. The fiberglass material is like thick wool and I haven't experienced them falling apart, though if you move them around a lot (unpacking, using them, packing, storing, repeat) then they will wear out over time.

We used them to keep sparks and droppings away from people's furniture, other parts on the thing we were welding (hydraulic hoses, carpet, etc.). They work well and can even resist being burned in the same spot a few times before needing to be replaced or repaired.

Hope this helps. BTW, if you go to a local welder supply store you can see what they're like in person. I don't know how close they are to you but if they're on your way to someplace you'd be going anyway, just stop in and see.

- Rick

Reply to
Rick Hodgin

As the seller doesn't specify any temperature, it might be crap. A real spec'd welding blanked doesn't cost much more and you get what you pay for.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Check out:

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Benysek

Woops, enter "blanket" in the search box!

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Benysek

Tks, yes the lower end ones dont protect against steady heat above 200. So I think ill get that one from the weldingsupply store that does the

1500 option.

Will have to wait on their reply to shipping to Canada though first.

Bruce Benysek wrote:

Reply to
pauly